Q: Who thinks we need more people like this addressing Congress?!

A: I know I do!

"Prior to the G20 summit this week MEP Daniel Hannan ripped the hide off British Prime Minister Gordon Brown in this recent speech. Say what you will about the European Parliament system but speeches like this should become the rule rather than the exception in US politics. If you have something of a hangover as a result of the unctuous and disingenuous sermonizing from President Obama last night this YouTube clip might be just the right tonic for you:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94lW6Y4tBXs&ytsession=hCwTKex_Wvrg8TwZtgr5XSg1LTTVksYXwGwecZ6ypLajofcmA3ks35rEFTJFOO6n7xGW0Rf5UYWxQPyZ8bXG7Jk2YCZ1r7wDWPOjbcsqOMTkB38_YM8kBpwxakxCCsCgupwqXHeZ4acnUxmo6AkpjVKGCIRaSNg3urM1BvWcl8iDbvxN3R57ErAdfUCUYvnLK8ahy5E2n5WWk53pr1rbFGvUji7Lu-X-h2XTrwmztANd-ziv8JopIn5j4kuFBYk5wL4sZtmZaYEz6EBf8BIsp5xrLVTLYMs6ha9i-orSclCBvYBM-tiLq4_ZTpzbcVgs#

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 9:26 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I do! I think, though, that more and more are starting to stand up against this radical NObama and his admin. As long as we, the American people, continue to have Tea Parties across this great nation, protests against this administration's debacles and unconstitutionals, our elected officials will start to stand up and speak!
    blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 11:36 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with European Parliament system.Didn't you just say that good speech is just good speech?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• ANON 9:33AM

No. I think Mr. Hannan (who is addressing Parliament and Brown) is spot on! I wish more Republicans AND Democrats would stand up and be as forthright and demanding of the President and Congress.

Not sure I understand your cryptic message...please elaborate--I'll go get more coffee.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:47 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• That's a good speech, and contains some straight talk, but good talk will only do good if the advice is heeded. Besides this concerns England, it doesn't have anything to do with the United States. We need somebody HERE to say this to OUR Congress, and our Congress needs to listen and shape up. In the meantime, it's still an internal British matter, and we need to keep our snoopy noses out of it.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:48 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Considering Obama wants to "team up" with Brown, and turn the United States into a larger version of the Socialized Nanny State that is the UK, I think we SHOULD be concerned!

This is a matter of "snooping" and it was NOT a private address. We can actually LEARN from those countries whose socialized governments and programs are FAILING the people and the country, and demand that we change course BEFORE it's too late!

Why am I the only one who gets this? Are we already that far gone as a country?
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:55 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• * meant to say this ISN'T a matter of "snooping"....
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:56 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I completely agree LoriKeet. I think that someone should address our congress in this same manner. I don't know how many times they would have to say "we're broke" for them to actually get it though. It seems that many of the citizens out there think you can shrink your debt with massive borrowing. That goes against the rules of logic. And lets not get started on the whole 'lets just print more money' debacle, as they don't seem to understand the ramifications of that either.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:03 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• ahh, yes, now that I look at it that way, it is a good thing to know, LoriKeet. I was looking at it a different way. I was thinking that the US has a deplorable habit of jumping into the messes other people have made of their countries and trying to fix their problems when we have the same or worse problems at home. I do wish tht lots of good people with the power to change things would stand up in OUR Congress and give them some no-holds-barred straight talk like this.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:06 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I can't view you tube. General idea?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:26 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• loving--

Here's is Mr. Hannan's blog...hopefully it'll give you an idea of how he feels about Brown and Parliament! I think this guy is spot on!  Hopefully some day he'll rise to Prime Minister status--we need more of this brand of domestic and international leadership!

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/Daniel_Hannan

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:40 AM on Mar. 26, 2009