• In the Spotlight:

Is this normal?

We have a 2 and a half year old little boy and just adore our family of 3. We have always known we want a sibling for our son, so I went off the pill a few months ago and just prayed that God would bless us when the time was right. I found out last night that I am 4 weeks pregnant. Upon seeing the results, I immediately began crying because of the change this will bring to us. My son and I are "buddies," and I fear that he will be DEVASTATED by the baby. I feel like a whack job because I know I should be soooo excited! Please help!

TiffaniR

Asked by TiffaniR at 9:32 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Relax. Tell your son about all the exciting things that are going to happen. Explain to him when he is ready that mommy will have to spend extra time with the new baby like she did for him when he was new. I would even pick up some books that might help with the transition. I wish you all the luck and congrats on the new one.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:37 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• :) It's just the hormones. Hang in there. When I got pregnant, it was a month earlier than I was expecting and I cried and cried b/c I thought I wasn't pregnant. You're son will be fine and so will you.

Congrats!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• You are completely normal. I felt the same way, but thru the WHOLE pregnancy. I wasn't excited to have our little girl and was terrified of the effect it would have on our 2 1/2 yr old son. Of course, she came and he loves her (almost too much). I can't get him to leave her alone most of the time. Believe me, it will be wonderful once she gets here and down't beat yourself up over not being excited. The second pregnancy is definitely different!
    Mrs_Ruppel

Answer by Mrs_Ruppel at 2:28 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• It's normal to be panicked - it's a BIG change adding another baby to the mix! But give your son a chance to explore his own emotions about the pregnancy and the idea of a new sibling. If you make his mind up for him, then there's not much room for him to expand on the idea.

Just take your time telling him - don't sugar coat everything; let him know the ups/downs just like you would anyone. All you can do is just prepare him for this amazing new arrival & assure him that your love will only be multiplied, not divided.

Congratulations on baby #2 - take care of you & your growing family and I'm sure good things will come your way!!! GOOD LUCK.
    mommaruth07

Answer by mommaruth07 at 2:34 PM on Mar. 26, 2009