WHEN SHOULD I PUT MY 14 MONTH OLD IN A TODDLER BED?

mammamakayla

Asked by mammamakayla at 9:43 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• WHENEVER THEY START CLIMBING OUT OF THERE CRIB AND YOUR COMFORTABLE WITH THEM BEING ABLE TO WALK AROUND THERE ROOM FREELY ! MY DAUGHTER WAS IN A TODDLER BED AT 10 MONTHS!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 10:01 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• My sons were in a todller bed at around 18 months.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 10:04 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• both my kids made the switch at 15months. my daughter i did it for her because i needed the crib because I found out i was pregnant and so wanted to make the transition for her as soon as possible. she didnt ever try to climb out of her crib....my son...he did he started climbing out...but with help from my daughter...so i said to heck with it, took the side off of the crib and made it a daybed...gave it back to my daughter and my son the toddler bed she had been using and all has been grand...except she wakes up in the morningsg first, and wants to go get him so bad...its annoying she crys for him until he wakes up....its sooo cute at the same time.
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 10:35 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I did 2 yrs old, its a personal choice and depends on the kid i think!
    Jacemommy31506

Answer by Jacemommy31506 at 11:33 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• i remember when my parents put us in toddler bed when we start climbing out of crib . it really depends i think when the kid is ready.

and remember when they are in toddler bed they can just climb out and come to your bed.
    mommytobe24

Answer by mommytobe24 at 11:39 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• It depends on the child and on how comfortable you are with the increased freedom she will have.

Yes, many will tell you to move her when she starts to climb since she could fall and get hurt. But remember that once she has the freedom to get out of bed any time she wants, she will find many new ways to get hurt - all while you are sound asleep at 3am.

The AAP says to try to find some way to prevent or discourage climbing and to keep a child in a crib until 3 if at all possible. It's the safest place for a toddler.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:41 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• When ever you feel they are ready. My oldest was 11 months old only because she was trying to climb out, my youngest is almost 15 months on the 11th and I just put her in a toddler bed about 3 weeks ago only because I got my older daughter a twin bed so I didn't want to take the toddler bed down the basement and bring it up in a couple months so I put it in my youngest room she sleeps in it pretty well and I put a babygate up in her door way so she can't get out why I am asleep.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:40 PM on Mar. 26, 2009