dog problems

I've had my dog for going on three years. he is a minature german shepard/rotweiller mix. He isnt a horrible dog he is just so damn active. we've tried switching his food and it doesnt work. When i walk him i have to take my 9 month dd in the stroller too and he drags her. today while i was cleaning up him buisness he pulled the stroller(his leash was attached to it, it is the only way to do it and keep control of the stroller) so my daughter was face down on the pavement(she didnt hit hard i stopped it from hurting her) and when i was picking the stroller up he tried to drag her across the side walk on a dead run. i dont know what to do with him. he does let my dd pet him or within a 5 foot radius. should i be worried. he's never snapped at her and you cant even tell by his temper that he is a rot so please rot haters dont say that.

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 9:50 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Pets

• Its time to train him. I started recording the dog wisperer. It is amazing what you can teach a dog with treats and when they look at you as their leader. Don't give up, just look at some training. My friends dog is huge and it will run up to you and sit rightdown (almost sliding on his butt) because they don't pet it at all unless he is sitting. so he excitedly runs up then sits down for you to pet him. My dogs run in the back door and sit in the kitchen waiting on their treats after going to the bathroom.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:03 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• He needs obedience classes. I would def look into those. They helped greatly with our dog while I was growing up.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:05 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• That's the Rottweiler in him. Like I say "The bigger the dog the harder to control and train"..That's why I went to a chihuahua. Full of energy, but to small to destroy anything.

Answer by louise2 at 10:06 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• he isnt a big dog. he barely comes up to my knee he is a MINATURE!!! We have trained him and he was very good except the last couple months. You cant even tell that he has rotweiller in him so please dont comment on that. this isnt a species issue.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:49 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• No amount of food changing is going to make him less active. Lots of exercise is what he needs and I agree that you need to enroll him in an obedience class. An obedience class will teach you how to train him to walk nicely on a leash where you can hold the leash and pull the stroller. Is there a safe fenced area you can take him to to run? Maybe a dog park.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:34 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• i have a very lg german shepherd who was like this also.they are very smart dogs.i just had to be very persistant with him.i reall ydont think i would walk her with a stroller i dont think i would have enough control.she is very active.like the dog whisperer you have to be the pack leader.and let her know you are dominant.i dont qiut know what they mean by a rottys personality.but i do know a shepherd will listen and learn you just have to be persistant.
    snowmom974

Answer by snowmom974 at 12:26 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I have no choice but to walk him with a sroller. I'm not gonna leave my dd home all alone! he used to do just fine with it but its like all of a sudden he is being diobediant. There is no fenced in dog park, no dog park at all. If I let him off the leash he will run away.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 12:34 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Were do you live?/An apartment with out a fenced yard or a house with out a fenced yard? If you have a fenced yard let him out and let him run in the yard?
    Just because he does not look like a Rottweiler, does not mean he does not act like one.
    Something must have changed in the family/house to make him start acting up.Dogs are like kids, something changes in the house or family. It can affect them.

Answer by louise2 at 1:23 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• If he hasn't already been fixed, do it asap. That will help calm him. Getting exercise isn't just about letting him in the yard to run. He needs for his people to take him out and walk him. He won't get any better if you don't keep practicing. Obedience school is awesome, my Great Dane and I went. Although I already had a dog that was a good, trained dog, I learned so much that it was well worth it. Rottweilers make wonderful dogs, so ignore what all the haters have to say. It's not the breed that has a problem, its the owners. You just keep working with him, and remember he thinks he is your baby, and he knows that he was their before your 9 month old. He needs love and one on one attention just like any other kid would.
    Anonymous

• watch the dog whisperer to learn how to calm your dog down. your not being the pack leader.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 3:03 PM on Mar. 26, 2009