• In the Spotlight:

Should I use pull up's while potty training?

My son will be 3 in August. He does awesome for 5-7 days with no accidents then has them all the time. He always poops on the toilet though. We'll go another 5-7 days before he wants to wear underwear again. He has been doing this since Oct. Nov. Should I put him in a pull up during this next week or should I keep going with underwear? I'm currently putting him back into a pull up until he tells me he wants to wear underwear. I'm getting tired of cleaning sheets and carpets so often. Please help!!

elcam71

Asked by elcam71 at 9:52 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I used pull-ups for both of mine, only when we were going out. At home, they both used "big boy" underewear, until tey decided that they did not like to be wet.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 10:01 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• i used strickly underwear, and though i was doing a lot of scrubing a sheet washing i think it paid off in the end. we started after my daughter had turned 2 and yea she has an occasional accident...far and few between....but then so did i till like age 8 or so...yea...anyway....do what you think your son will respond to. i was afriend that they were to much like diapers and would encourage her to use it as a diaper.
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 10:20 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I'd stick with undies and not give him a choice at all. When he has the accidents, are you waiting until he says he has to go or are you watching him and the clock - looking for the "potty dance" and making sure he goes at least every 2 hours? If you are waiting until he asks, help him be a big kid sucess instead of leaving him to be a failure on his own. Watch for any "dancing" and watch the clock.

The only exception if naps and bedtime. Many, many kids do not stay dry while they are asleep until 5, 6 or even later. No amount of daytime training, no amount of talks, lectures, or even punishments can change what a child's body does while the child is sound asleep and not in control. Again, help him be a big kid sucess - keep him in pull ups or Good Nights while he is asleep until he wakes up dry at least 4 days out of 7.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:56 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• The daycare/preschool that I taught in discouraged use of pullups when potty training, except during sleep times. I give those toddler teachers a great deal of credit. To have 14 toddlers in a classroom, one was almost always seated by the restroom doing "potty duty" to make sure that each child went at least every 2 hours. ( and recording when and what each child did for Mom and Dad). And changing soiled clothes was done quite often. Because that room was so strongly focused on potty training, the kids were taght to be aware of how it felt "down there," so pullups made the process more difficult. The effect deadened the wet sensation that soon became immediately apparent to the child wearing underwear. Most children who switched directly to underwear were potty trained between 2 - 4 weeks.
    UltimateGrandma

Answer by UltimateGrandma at 1:06 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Ya I used pullups only to go somewhere and of course bedtime and naptime. That is part of potty training cleaning up messes all day lol. That is where you will confuse them if you go in underwear one week and pullups the next week. I had my girls wear underwear at home all day long. My oldest was fully potty trained except bedtime at 19 months old my youngest daughter will be 15 months old on the 11th and she is fully pee trained other than naptime and bedtime. I still have problems with the poop though she does poop sometimes if I catch her but she then sometimes still poops in her pants, but she is in underwear all day long why she is at home
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:34 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• NO!!! Pullups are just glorified diapers and kids know it. We potty trained both of our oldest children (one boy and one girl) is less than a week in underwear.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 1:18 AM on Mar. 27, 2009