Do all places where you adopt puppies from make you get them fixed?

I want a female puppy (a lab i think) but I don't want it fixed so we can have puppies. Does every place like human society and places like that MAKE you get them fixed or will they give me the choice if it isn't done already?
(Save your breathe, or should I say finger energy, I want to have puppies, and I won't get it fixed for a few years.)

lonelymom911

Asked by lonelymom911 at 9:52 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Pets

• what is sad is you people turning this post into something other than what the question was. lets try giving her an answer and not tellin her how to run her life.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 1:38 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• If you are adopting from the humane society they are usually fixed when you bring them home. Your best bet would be to hit a lab rescue and see if you can get one that isn't. Most place except pet stores have them fixed to prevent animals that aren't wanted. I wish you luck finding one.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:55 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Every rescue place I've ever been to either gives you a voucher to get the dog fixed or it is already fixed, as well as vet clinics that adopt animals.

I would say to look at a pet store or check out the newspaper for puppy adds. You can usually find them very cheap or free.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 10:03 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Not all breeders require you to get them fixed in your contract....but it might cost you more. When we bought our Boston Terrier, had we not agreed (in our contract with the breeder) to neuter him, he would have been $1000 instead of $600.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 10:04 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• We adopted one of our dogs from the local animal shelter and she wasn't fixed. They told us they could have it done for us or we could just take her to any vet and they would send the paperwork along with us so it would be free. So there are places where you can adopt a dog that isn't fixed.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 10:06 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• The Humane Society fixes all their dogs before adopting them out. If you want one unfixed then I would look for a lab rescue and you might have better luck. If not then you will have to a breeder and pay the bucks for it. GL!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 10:35 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I truly believe unless you are using or working that dog in the field they are bred for--you should NOT being breeding them--regardless of how cute or how much money you can make. Unless you know how to train and work a Labrador for hunting--why breed them? Or you are an experienced showman--why breed? Unless you have top breeding stock--why add to the population and the degrading of the breeds? I trained our Lab and she was an excellent hunter but I never would have bred her. I just hate to see so many people breeding dogs who have no clue what the breed is about----or even how to chose good breeding stock in order to keep the breed what it was meant to be. Our pounds are full of "good family dogs"--why breed more just for "family dogs"?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• when you buy from a petstore, you are not obligated to get it fixed. Also try your local craigslist.com
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 11:27 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I agree with Anon 11:21 and if you want to support puppy mills with horrible conditions then go ahead and get a pet store puppy. Backyard breeders are almost as bad as puppy mills.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:30 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Pet Shops are a good example of backyard breeders "dumping" the litters they just wanted so much to have--for whatever reason. Don't breed a dog UNLESS you have a good background in that breed and have good stock to breed. Also known as a reputable breeder! You become one by knowing your breed, possibly making a name in that breeds circles whether that is the field or show ring.....but just to breed a dog to have puppies--I am sorry--that is selfish. I have raised and trained an excellent lab and three border collies and I would still never think I should breed them!!! So please really consider WHY you want to breed a dog and don't add to the overpopulation.

Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 11:40 AM on Mar. 26, 2009