She wont stop screaming

my 15m old will not stop screaming and kicking her feet. i dont know what her problem is she just started to do it for no reason. She wants me to hold her but I know nothing is wrong she does it all the time. She is already a big enough baby. Thats why she is doing this. She will go on like this for hours. I dont know why she just dont give up. How do I teach her I WONT pick her up until she stops crying and pitching a fit?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't look at her and don't acknowledge her. She is doing this b/c you have given in before. If you want her to stop then you have to not pay attention to it. Pretend that she isn't there. She will eventually stop and it may take a few tries but she will get the hint. We use this with our 8 mo old and now she stops as soon as we turn out backs to her.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:02 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Ok but how long can she scream like this? Cause she dont give up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• This is what i call... Me me me, I want it now.. Shes just wanting attention and the fact that shes heading into her terrible two's. So this is just a stage. You sit her down and tell her the reasson is what ill do let her know why she's not gonna be hold. Then mean what you say, some of us mommies always fall for this trap after we say were gonna stand firm..

lovlyB

Answer by lovlyB at 10:07 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Ummm...try actually picking her up? Play with her? Acknowledge her need and then try to put her down with something to distract her. Give her some platic containers with lids to entertain her or something. I do not understand the ignore your child theory at all.
    EiEiO

Answer by EiEiO at 10:10 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• If she's anything like my son, she can scream for hours!

When my son was that age and started acting like that, I took him to his bed and came down stairs. I'd turn on the radio and do some house work or watch some tv. After about half an hour, I would go up there and ask him if he wanted to come down stairs again, usually he said yes, and I would tell him that every time he started screaming and carrying on he would have to go to his room. Sometimes I had to take several trips to his room before he was done screaming. And sometimes he would come out of his room and start screaming and throwing fits again and up the stairs he went.

She is just testing your patience. Stay strong because you have to win this fight. It gets very frustrsting but for every time you give in, it takes ten times that for her to figure out you are serious about what you say and you will follow through with the consequences
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 10:13 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• And after she is calm, make sure you give her some loves... play together, read a story, go for a walk, color... something to show her that she doesn't need to be naughty to get some attention. I found what worked with my son was after he was done throwing his fit he would pick out a few books and we would read them together.

Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 10:16 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• But see this is different then most. She is NOT my only child. I have 2 more. 1 a yr older and 1 a yr younger. I give her and the other to as much attention as I can. She was babied by daddy and now daddy has a job so she thinks she can do the same things with me. Nope...sorry....Screaming for NO REASON makes me a crazy person.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Thanks for all you anwsers though...I am trying to get them to listen to me and my house to not be so crazy all the time its to much for one person...but it isnt working so well...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• i did this to my mom.. quite often. only i would hold my breath and pass out.
    Scared mom enough to spoil me for quite some time.
    Finally stopped when mom had enough! She tossed a very small amount of cold water on me.. and said knock it off.. and walked away. Shocked me - i quit doing it.
    At least this is what i've been told.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• lol anon 10:36. Sounds like when you spray a cat with a spray bottle. My daughter is also going thru this and what I do is just walk away into another room and she'll follow me when she wants comfort from mommy. Her grandma spoils her so it makes it more difficult of getting her out of this stage. Good luck!
    Native_Mommy253

Answer by Native_Mommy253 at 12:40 PM on Mar. 26, 2009