Melatonin

I am doing some research on melatonin in children. I have a dear friend who swears by it for herself and her special needs children. What are your experiences with this in you child? I have read some pretty severe side affects at mayoclinic.com and other sites. I have a child that is a very light sleeper and fights going down and gets up at the crack of dawn. Your experiences are appreciated! I am asking those who have or have had children who take it. I am fully aware of those who firmly believe it is drugging your child...so I don't need input on that score but thanks anyway. I have not tried it...just doing some research.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Kids' Health

• my 8 yr old son has ADHD and is on meds for that. One of the side effects of that medication is trouble falling asleep. There were nights he would lie awake 2 or more hours after going to bed and still be awake he has also woke up at 2 or 3 a.m. and not be able to sleep. Someone suggested Melatonin and I checked with my pediatrician and he said it would be perfectly fine to give it to him. He takes one 3mg tablet about 20 minutes before bedtime and within 15-20 minutes of going to bed it is fast asleep. We have had great success with it.
    mypookiesma

Answer by mypookiesma at 2:34 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I have never given that to children, but you  might want to take a look at www.tgw247.com   and maybe get to the root of the problem rather than just treat the symptom  Toxic-overload can cause many things and insomnia is one of them.  Let me know if you want more info.

jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 12:55 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• As far as im concerned, melatonin is all natural. That also doesnt mean you shouldnt take as much as you want. I have used it with my oldest once in a blue moon, and those are when we had days where I practically had to peel him off the ceiling. He has had no side effects and sleeps great.. We havent used it in months (he is 16mo now).
    Anonymous

• I gave you the wrong site. Look at   www.sharethecause.com/hastily/Unseen-Killers

jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 6:16 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• My ex's boy had ADHD and we used it probably once a week to help him calm down and go to sleep. His doctor recommended it, but we only gave half the dose recommended for his age. Melatonin is what your body naturally makes to slow down and go to sleep, but that doesn't mean you should be giving it in excess. We never had any ill effects from it either.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:02 PM on Mar. 31, 2009