What are the health benefits of yoga?

I've heard sooo many women and celebrities say they do a lot of yoga to lose weight and de-stress. I get the relaxation part (well, at least once you get all those crazy moves down and can focus on something other than not falling over), but how does yoga promote weight loss? I am about to get back on my diet and start an exercise plan, and I was thinking that perhaps I should add Yoga for good measure along with my cardio and strength training. How can I get started also? Are there any easy moves I can do?

ErinHill226

Asked by ErinHill226 at 10:14 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• THERE ARE A LOT OF BEGINNERS TAPES OUT THERE ON SALE, BASIC MOVES. THE BENEFITS ARE STRETCHING YOUR MUSCLES FOR A MORE LIMBER BODY, IT WORKS IN YOUR MIND TOO, RELAXING STRESS AND SO FORTH. AS FAR AS WEIGHT LOSS, YOU WOULD BE WISE TO COMBINE AEROBICS, WEIGHTS AND THE YOGA AS THE STRETCHING. NAMASTAY!

Answer by older at 10:20 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• We did 2 weeks of yoga in my PE class in college, and it is intense! You have to remember to keep your breathing steady, and I think breathing is the main thing with yoga. I honestly haven't done yoga other than those 2 weeks, but my PE teacher said if you are looking for faster results yoga is the way to go. And make sure you start with beginner!
    happymom0724

Answer by happymom0724 at 10:29 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Yoga teachers are really strong-from years of yoga:-) The one I have taken classes from is a slender young mom who has unbelievable upper body strength---you would never know it by just looking at her.
    I really enjoy yoga and it is the one exercise I do that my body actually misses if I don't----you have to experience this to understand it:-) I have got my youngest son (he was 18 at the time) and a niece into it and they both really like it. Oh--the son is an Army Ranger--so it isn't just for women:-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Yoga has actually been the only exercise that has helped me successfully shed pounds. I think it might have something to do with making you more conscious about your body. It makes me pay more attention to what I eat. Also- it combines strength training with flexibility. Very important for your overall health of course- bones, metabolism- it is one of the most holistic forms of exercise. I'd almost call it the most authentic form of exercise.
    Raintree

Answer by Raintree at 11:50 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Hmmm. Maybe I will get a tape and try it along with my other exercises. Is it like other strength training works out in the fact that you should do it only ever OTHER day? Or can I do it every day? Or alternate it with weight training? Can I do yoga and weights on the same day? Better yet...anybody have a good book they can suggest that will explain all this? lol
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 1:09 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Every day:-) If you can fit it in:-) You can do it on the days you do all of your other workouts--but it takes time. The yoga class at our college went from one hour to an hour and a half--or you can do a short 5-10 minute workout.
    Anonymous

• Check out Baron Baptiste's web site---he is really good. And I have a tape called Total Yoga that I really like---:-) I also have several of Baron's...
    Anonymous

• I love yoga, but personally don't think it does too much for actual weight loss. For that you would be better off with aerobics. As far as physical benefits go, I think of yoga as good for toning the body and developing a better physique. But it's not much of a calorie burner.
    lovemydivas

Answer by lovemydivas at 8:10 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Iron Yoga is a good one. BUT if you can find a P90X yoga dvd--SNATCH IT UP!!!! This is a great yoga dvd. However, I don't think the company will sell it without the whole P90X program. Check on eBay because some are selling single DVDs from this program. I really like it:-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I liked it when I did it and need to get back into it. I don't remember losing much weight with it, but I was super relaxed!

My in laws love it and do it to destress. I will ask them if they have lost any weight because of it.
    LoveMyBlessings

Answer by LoveMyBlessings at 3:45 AM on Mar. 30, 2009