To anyone who ISNT using Public School (Private/Home schoolers)

To those that dont use the public school system does it ever bother you that you pay a school tax? Do you ever wish you could use that tax money towards your own childs education instead of pouring it into a system you obviously do not believe in?

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 10:24 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• Like a previous poster said....it bugs me a tiny bit since I homeschool and would love to spend that $$ on my own children, BUT I would much rather have the gov't completely absolved of having ANY reason to feel they can intervene in what I do with my children.

I do like the idea of being able to send the money to the schools we believe in, it probably would make a change, but with homeschooling increasing by 17% in just the last year, I'm sure we will be seeing some changes in the schools. With that kind of increase I think it shows that people are looking for other options and are dissastisfied.
    lissabeescraps

Answer by lissabeescraps at 12:08 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• People who don't have kids at all still have to pay the same tax. Why would private school/home schoolers be any different?
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:29 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Sure, but like beck said.... everybody pays it even if they never have kids.

It would be nice to get a tax deduction for our supplies (like public school teachers do), but we don't. Most homeschoolers are okay with it in the end, though, because the more "help" we get from the governement, the more they can try to control what & how we teach our kids.

I know (personally speaking) when it comes right down to it, I'd rather spend a little more & keep my freedoms in educating my kids rather than getting a small deduction & having the state/feds tell me what, how, when, & in what time frame to teach my own children.

I never have enough deductions to itemize anyways, so even if it were offered, it wouldn't do me any good.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:36 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I didnt mind paying school taxes before having kids. But now that we are thinking of HS our dd I just think it would be nice to get a break from the taxes to school our own child.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:40 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Even though I chose not to send my kids to public school, I do think that if those of us who didn't use it had the option to no longer pay taxes to fund it that it would be many times worse. Not everyone has the option to homeschool or can afford private school tuition, and it just seems like it would be incredibly selfish of me to feel like it's OK to make sure MY kids get educated, but other people's children's education can suffer in the process.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 10:41 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Silvertears. Good point. really havent thought of it that way. I guess because I dont really think there is that many homeschoolers, but i wasnt factoring in all the private schools around us as well..

I believe its england- could be wrong. You chose your childs schools & that is where your money goes. Schools are very competitive to get more students. I wonder if the USA adopted that system if it would make our schools better. I know which ever country it is their school systems are amazing compared to ours.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:29 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• (the post above) that is where my question stemed from originally before thinking of homeschooling. i thought it would be great if we could just pay & support the schools we believe in.
    I just feel that our schools could be doing alot better than they are & its not going to change unless parents try to do it ourself ... Public schools need an overhaul (imo).
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:30 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• We homeschool because it works better for us, not because we don't believe in the public school system. I think in general, most people think homeschoolers consider ps to be "evil empires" that do diddly squat for the kids. I think there are plenty of good schools out there. A part of me would rather not pour my money into them, but in the end I don't mind contributing to any kind of learning institution where maybe just even one student will eventually make a difference in the world due to his/her education.
    Anonymous

• It is not our responsibility to educate or raise other people's children. It is a shame that our hard earned money goes to waste but what do you do? The government also uses our tax money to abort and sell unborn babies! God will handle it all on the last DAY~
    lilhoney

Answer by lilhoney at 12:41 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Taxes go for so many other things that I feel it evens out in the end. Others pay for things that they don't use and vice versa.

For instance, the local schools have their own libraries that the students use. My child uses the town's library, which our taxes also pay for. Same idea with the park district and local parks.

sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 5:23 PM on Mar. 26, 2009