what did you all do?

What everyone do for their child's first birthday? I am looking for ideas to mke my son's birthday special.

jamesmommy12

Asked by jamesmommy12 at 10:27 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• For my 3, we kept things simple. A family dinner & then cake. We just invited people with whom our kids were already comfortable. One year olds are easily overwhelmed & you don't want your birthday kiddos in tears during the whole party. If you are having a bakery cake, let them know it is a first birthday. Many bakeries will provide a small cake for free for a first birthday. That gives baby one to destroy & leaves a cake for the other guests. Or just do cupcakes. And if you do gifts, remember that baby doesn't care that much & will have more fun with the paper & boxes.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:53 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I will be doing our party at our neighborhood park. I am going to do pot luck and request no gifts. I know the economy stinks and it will be cheaper to bring a bag of chips than to buy a gift. I will also be making her cakes.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:33 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• We did our DD's at a local park, got her a personal size cake just for her to destroy, then cupcakes for everyone else. I got Winnie the pooh decor cause she loved him then and she kind of looked like him. Got her the whole #1 hat and all that stuff.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 11:04 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• we didnt do much for my dd's first bday because she wont remember it when shes older.
    it was at our house.
    we had a party with family, godparents, and a few of her little play daye buddies.
    i made her cakes and had everyone at the party decorate the big one.
    i made snacky food to munch on.

emmalouwho

Answer by emmalouwho at 11:08 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I wont be doing much for my DD's 1st birthday, partly because she wont remember it, and partly because Im thousands of miles from friends and family and her dad will be deployed at the time. I plan on just spending the day with her, maybe going to a park or store, and making or buying a tiny cake (which is mostly for me lol).. I think its more important to just spend the time with them rather than expend a bunch of money, time and energy on a big party-- which youll have plenty of when they turn 2, 3, 4, 5, and up.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 11:23 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I went to a local park that is sectioned for real young kids. It has all the playground equipment for the young ones. It also had a wall around it so we could track easier. The playground itself was a themed storybook type. All my loved ones came. Not many cause I just didnt want to be to overwhelmed with it all. But enough that everyone enjoyed themselves.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• bump
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 8:52 PM on Mar. 27, 2009