Anyone do Pilates?

There's a place really close to my house that offeres pilates classes, I'm considering going once a week to supplement my gym time, but I have NO IDEA what they are all about...and my coordination is not the greatest, aerobics classes never worked for me because I could NEVER get the routine down, are pilates more of a stay in one place kind of deal? Do you like it? Do you see results?

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 10:28 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• You will love it, I taught Pilate's in a studio for a few years here in AZ, all mat based work. It is a body and soul work out. Inside you learn to focus, calmness and concentration. Your body will become toned, tight and lengthen. Its a wonderful way to get into shape with out abusing your body.

JenNAY3

Answer by JenNAY3 at 1:19 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• My sister-in-law goes to an actual Pilates studio with all the fancy equipment and LOVES it:-) You don't have to be coordinated to do it. Do a research on it and you will see some of the moves and such. You can find stuff even on youtube showing the different moves. But research the history and you will see it is a great exercise program. But also--many Pilates studios are pricey because the equipment is expensive. BUT there are classes that don't use the equipment...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• OMG!! I did pilates three years ago. it was very hard to do. But I must admit it shaped my stomach and thighs and legs. You should really do it someone
    Yellowrose9

Answer by Yellowrose9 at 11:25 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I've done it, I like it, and I agree about aerobics... not coordinated enough to keep up with the group. lol I haven't taken a pilates class... I have a dvd I use at home that's real easy to use & follow... as I'm sure the classes would be, too. They're all about working your core (abs) and also have cardio... but main focus is the core, which is great! I do a lot of running and hiking, and this helps your back. It's low-impact, and a great workout.
    new-to-this

Answer by new-to-this at 12:13 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I have done Pilates with and without a reformer. I own my own reformer at home and really love it! It is great for balance and posture! It is not the best for losing a lot of weight, but it is great for toning once you are on your way.
    threeisenuff

Answer by threeisenuff at 3:20 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I do Pilates--it's not as much a dance routine like aerobics as stetching and toning like really intense yoga. I like it so far and it's helping with my bad back.
    sariejack

Answer by sariejack at 7:25 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Pilates is great. It's not a very rough work out, it's slow and mild, and can work for a beginner or someone already in good shape. It's very effective and you see the results fairly quickly. It's mostly stretching and getting limber. You may want to consider adding 20 minutes a day of something aerobic if you are looking for weightloss though. This is more for muscle toning.
    Anonymous