A question for home-schoolers

Do you honestly have a strict school curriculum for your children? How man hours a day do they spend on your school activities? I have yet to see a good representation of homeschooling, however I am only going by what I have seen on Wife Swap. These families spend like 15 minutes on phoney bologna lessons and then the rest of the time the kids are running wild. What is your regiment? How many hours do the kids work?

I am fully aware that Wife Swap is not an authority on home schooling and am not saying that this is how YOU do it, I am just honestly curious about how you do do it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• Home education is NOT school at home--it becomes a lifestyle and most of life becomes a lesson:-) We read A LOT and had A LOT of discussion. It is called the "Socratic" method. I read a lot to my kids from the time they were little and we talked a lot about it. (and they all read a lot. Good stuff-not trashy modern day junk a lot of kids are now reading.) Some of the best books for upper level grades are the "Uncle Eric" books--especially "Whatever Happened to Justice". Excellent for politics and history:-) Anyway, when the boys were small--5-7--some days all we did was read, talk, and play chess:-) I HIGHLY recommend a parent teach a child to play chess--excellent for the little minds:-) To anon--good luck--it is WORTH the effort;-)

Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 11:51 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• If you are serious check out a few good home education sites--like Home School Oasis. There are several out there. HSLDA.org may be another good one. Or Practical Homeschooling.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• My home education career has come to an end because all three student graduated:-) I have written before so I won't go into it all but all three of my kids have done well. My daughter is working on her third degree--it will befor her RN. My oldest son, at 21, was put in charge of men twice his age as supervisor and has many other such "accomplishments":-) My youngest received several scholarship offers, was accepted into the one college he wanted to go to, but joined the Army--at 18 he had 70 college credits--almost three years worth. He will soon be an Army Ranger...... So, somehow, we managed to do pretty well:-) I know how and what your are thinking because there are families like that----who knows---we always got compliments on our kids because they "weren't like other homeschoolers" people knew:-) Soooooo your comment isn't really off base but I feel the majority of home educators do a good job.

Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 11:34 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• we are not homeschooling yet... but when we do.. i think we will probley spend 1-2hrs on sit down curriculum (depending on the child). Since you dont have 20 kids to teach, your kid will learn alot quicker & not require 45min per lesson! We will do test from time to time but all may not be pen to paper, but going to see if my child is capable of doing something like-- a simple recipe by theirselfs-- if your not good at fractions you may not be able to make a home made cake right?

Field Trips will be more our style.. for example making a trip to the zoo every week to learn about a diffrent type of animal (mamals, primates, marsupials (sp), ect) using the zoo for thinking problems, math problems, ect...

If you look around your town there is ALOT of stuff out there that gets homeschoolers out of the home & learning on their feet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• "Homeschooling" is about raising and training up your own children, it is not a "method". Every family is different and is responsible for their own children. The how's and why's will vary but the basis is that the children are yours, so why do parents give their children over to others and still have the nerve to complain? Have you noticed how unhappy and illiterate most government educated children are? I have raised mine and am happy to see all three of them become hard working, responsible citizens who provide for themselves and love their neighbor. This is the goal, not how many useless facts you can remember until the next test. Just living a good life, obeying the laws and enjoying the work of your hands. How many children are taught to work? How do you learn real life skills sitting in a little desk in a room in some building all day long instead of being at home working along side those who love you??So sad!

lilhoney

Answer by lilhoney at 12:35 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• My oldest is home-schooled this year for reasons too long to list here. We spend 1-2 hours per day on lesson in the 5 required subjects. That doesn't include time we spend on things like cooking, politics, money, sex ed, etc.  We follow the school curriculum on the core subjects because she will be reentering for high school next year.

cont...
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 5:42 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• ... cont

The time we spend does not sound like a lot to the outsider. Schools "waste" a lot of time because they have to cater to a lot of students with different abilities. We have the freedom to cater the time to her individual needs. She is one full level ahead in math than what she would be had she stayed in the public school. She is finally catching up with her reading level.

Wife Swap takes the most extreme people in all areas and matches them with the extreme opposites. It's not a good example of a typical home-schooling family. Not just because of the extreme people, but also because I'm sure they edit to make things seem different. Drama makes great t.v.

sammygrl77