Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


I have a daughter who is 5. Her biological father hasn't had anything to do with her since she was about 1. I am now married and have 2 other children with my husband. I have repeatedly asked her bio. to sign over his rights or at least give us permission to change her name. The only way I have to get a hold of him is through e-mail, and he won't respond. I know he has gotten my e-mails, and just chooses not to answer me. What can I do? I have no idea where to even start this process. I have heard that I cn put an add in my paper and if he doesn't respond than I have free range to do whatever. But I don't know. Has anyone else been through this? Who can I call for answers? Thank you!!!

Answer Question

Asked by momcatx3 at 11:04 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • I think you should contact an attorney that is well versed in family law. They'll know what your legal options are.

    Answer by beckcorc at 11:12 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

  • My brother is on the opositie side of this senario. The mother is being unreasonable and keeping his child from him. Why should he terminate his rights just because she wants to be a bitch? He's paying child support but not getting to see his child anyway. It's screwed up. So if your situation is anything like that, then you're going ot have to deal with her having her daddy's last name. She will know who's there for her and she'll learn more as she gets older if she needs to.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

  • You'll need to take him to court if he won't cooperate with you, call a lawyer and inquire on what you need to do first~

    Answer by lilhoney at 12:10 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

  • Talk to a family attorney, they can tell you how to do this.

    Answer by Stuee at 1:23 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.