Black walnut tree...vile weed!

So we have a huge black walnut tree in our back yard. I hate this thing. It loses leaves in august, it drops green pod like balls that incase the walnuts all over the yard. The squirrels drop them too. Two years ago we put a pool in and this tree makes such a mess with walnuts, leaves and twigs I am at my wits end. My dad mentioned that the wood is worth a lot of money and that I should not chop it down but rather look into putting an add in the paper or calling an arborist and getting some money for the tree. This thing has got to go! We want to have it removed then plant a new tree in place of it a bit farther from the pool and one that won't make such a stinking mess. Has anyone any experience with this tree? Do you know if people will pay for the wood? Regardless this thing is going!

salexander

Asked by salexander at 11:22 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I have 3 of these! I want them gone! Not all plants do well around black walnut. Tomotoes especially. My tomatoes did great the first year, we had them in a different area. Last year, we moved our garden and the tomatoes were closer to the black walnut. I got hardly any tomatoes and the plants were pitiful!

I didn't know people would pay you to take them though! I'll have to look into that! I'll take the money, they can have the wood. LOL
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 11:35 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Black walnuts are very rare native trees. And it also produces an EXTREMELY wonderful ingredient to the surrounding area it is grown in. Any plant that grows near it will be VERY happy. I am sad you hate the tree so much, I would be very happy to clean up after mine if i had one. Yes, you could probably sell the wood. I would not call an arborist, they will rip you off & end up selling the wood for more than what they bought it for you from unless they are willing to do it for free. I would do a little research, & find a lumber company & see if they are interested in taking it down. The arborist might do it for free though, but you might not actually be able to sell it to them...... it depends on the company. It's very expensive to have someone come & take a huge tree out though.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:29 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I live in NW Ohio and we have tons of them around our area. They grow like weeds here. I love trees and hate to see anyone cut them down...I won't even get a real Christmas tree, but this thing is such a mess and we have a small yard as it is. Limited space. It is rotting the roof of our garage, if a storm takes it it will destroy our pool, we roll our ankles on the walnut pods, there is just not many pro side items to list as far as keeping it goes. I would like to plant a new one just farther away and one that is not quite so messy. Thanks for your input.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:37 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• the wood from a black walnut is very valuable. i suggest you find a good lumber company who would pay to take it off your hands.
    hotlilmama2007

Answer by hotlilmama2007 at 6:03 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Sell the timber, and get some cash, you might get around $180 a ton and that's good money when you are not paying someone to cut it down for you. Make sure you find someone who buys timber and not cuts trees, or you'll be paying someone to cut down your trees and then will sell the timber. The only thing though is that the timber has to be cut in large sections for milling, and your yard has to have accessability for a logging truck.
    Now that I looked it up, it's going for much more than that, check with your local extension office for timber pricing.
    Anonymous

• One source online I found $300 a ton.
    Anonymous