just wondering..

at what gestational age can a baby survive out of the uterus?
I've heard 20, 21, 24, 25, 26, which is it?

I know obviously born at that stage a baby would need a lot of medical help.
I'm living proof~ I was born at 26 weeks in 1984 and remained in the hospital's care for 9 months after birth , i was in an incubator and breathing tubes, eating tubes and was underdevelopped.
I'm fine today , no problems what so ever, except i have mild asthma. Little girls fight hard!!

anyways back to my question, i was wondering if the advanced technology we have in today's society have lowered that age? I read somewhere a baby survived at 20 wks gestational...

AshleyRoseG

Asked by AshleyRoseG at 11:24 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It really depends on the baby and if they have developed properly up until that point. I know of a baby that was born at 23 weeks and lived but I also know a baby that was born at 26 weeks and died.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:28 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• i agree it does depend on the baby and how they have developed. but when a baby is so young it is a very fine line . if i remember right tho i think it is 28 weeks and the chances go up to like 80% but im not sure i was told towards the beginning of my pregnancy because of al the problems i was having . i am now 35 weeks so i kinda forgot lol .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 11:36 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• The chances are good that a baby will live after 20 or 21 weeks. Not 100% of course, nowhere close, but assuming you have good medical staff and facilities near where you are, I don't think it would be expecting too much for the baby to live after 20-21 weeks.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:43 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• well my mom had a baby at 27 weeks and my little brother didnt make it and my husbands aunt had a baby at 27 weeks and he is now a normal 5 year old kid...so it is all up to how strong the baby is and how developed it is
    Anonymous