What are some legitimate ways to make money from home?

I cannot do full time child care for many reasons. I've tried Tupperware and Avon,and it didn't work. I don't have the money to take classes to get certified in medical transcription. There are too many scams on the internet to try and find a legimate one.

Asked by Bethsunshine at 11:04 AM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Money & Work

• I'm a Mary Kay Independent Senior Beauty Consultant. I know how you feel -- I tried a couple different things that I got completely scammed on before I reluctantly decided to look into Mary Kay. After learning all the facts I was still unsure, but I'd seen people close to me have great success, so I gave it a shot. I haven't looked back since. It may or may not be right for you, but I'd be happy to share more information with you and answer any questions so that you can make an informed decision. Feel free to PM me. I'm more than happy to be of service to you if I can!

Answer by retz at 11:16 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• A friend of mine was in the same situation, she has 3 daughters all under 5 years old and needed $. She started a home daycare for her friends and family memebers. At first it was just family then the word got around and she started taking in more...not certified mind you so this really needs to be close friends and family only to start. After abotu a year of getting regular paychecks for the kids she watched, she took the classes onine and got certified (only took a few months)...she now runs an at home daycare and does great $ wise with it. Only drawbacks to this is that you don't get paid when you are sick and often times the kids get you sick, lol. Hope this helps! BTW my friend is now 25 and has her own successful business.

Answer by BahamaMama516 at 11:17 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I am a MaryKay Independant beauty consultant. It costs 100.00 to get set up and you can buy your inventory as you go. I make 50% of what I sell. Its a great company to work for. There are no time frames and no one to yell over your shoulder that you need more sell more. you work at your own pace. good luck.

Answer by smtwngrl_27 at 11:20 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• There are legitimate online jobs - they are just really hard to find. ( has a telecommunting folder) I commend you for at least trying the direct sales route. I tried a couple businesses as well until I found the one that I am currently with. Sometimes it takes a couple go arounds until you find a company that you really click with. Good luck with your search. I hope you find something that works for you.

Answer by LisaTOHE at 11:21 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Thanks ladies, but I REALLY cannot do home daycare. My husband works rotating shifts, plus I will be homeschooling my own kids next fall.As I mentioned, the Avon and Tupperware didn't work out, I was putting more money into it than I was making plus having to deal with crazy customers so I don't want to try another sales company.I'm just very frustrated right now!

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:53 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I sell AVON online and to friends... i just started buyt i am making money steady! if you want... email your info and i can refer you! I need your name, address, email and phone number... you can send it to

or if you want to check out my site you can go to

hope this helps

Answer by jessicalozada at 1:26 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Tupperware is working great for me. Maybe when you tried it the timing wasn't right. Or you didn't have the right upline. There could be many reasons. I'd be happy to help if you want to try Tupperware again. GOOD LUCK, Amy

Answer by rocamom at 1:46 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Have you ever thought about AmeriPlan before? I LOVE AmeriPlan. AmeriPlan has given me so much financial freedom and the freedom to do my business whenever I feel like. PLUS, I got to fire my NAGGING BOSS! LOL :-D Check out my website OR PM for more info! :-D

Answer by ambubbett at 2:15 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• have you tried the deals and steals group here on cafemom? they have some ideas about stay at home moms to earn income and save money get freebies things of that nature

Answer by BreakingFree at 2:17 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• You need to decide if you want a WAH Job or a WAH business (avon and tupperware and all other direct sales are in this category). and both have ads for Wah jobs...mostly data entry and telemarketing type stuff. Still be wary, ANY wah job that requires upfront fees is a scam.....WAH businesses are legit when they require upfront fees.

Answer by SensualScents at 2:48 PM on Jun. 20, 2008