Do you think its worth it to get tested?

These days doctors offer many different tests to determine the chances your LO will be born with defects or a disease. The thing is, is that these tests only tell if you baby has a CHANCE of contracting the disease (such as Downs). Baby has a chance of contracting these diseases without the test. I think its just another thing to have parents worry about and is not neccessary. What do you think?

serioussifL

Asked by serioussifL at 11:37 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Health

• No. I think there are too many false positives. I know several people who *almost* aborted their children, but found with a second test that the first test was a false positive. And, Joy, you know I would love a baby no matter if s/he had Down's Syndrom or not.

Heart defects would typically be seen by ultrasound. And most things cannot be treated until baby is born, or several months later.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 12:17 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I never got tested when I was pregnant my doc understood that I would not do it and did not force me I feel that this is my child and I accept him or her no matter what

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• They do the test so that the parent can be fully aware of what they could possibly be facing. If a positive or negative result would make NO difference to you then I would say dont take the test....BUT if you are like me and rather be prepared for every possible situation then I would say do the test. I would rather being in the know then being in the dark.
    Either way you look at it you have a very special gift on the way, who will LOVE you no matter who or what you are.
    LimoMOM5

Answer by LimoMOM5 at 11:41 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Well they ask the parent if they want the baby tested probably so you can either prepare for what is about to come or for some parents to abort the baby (not what I believe), but they can't force you to do it. When I had my girls they asked me if I wanted tested for that I said no because I didn't want to worry about the baby my entire pregnancy I wanted to be able to enjoy my pregnancy without having to worry that the doctor told me that my baby was unhealthy. Plus I would love the baby no matter what so I didn't want to know. So I never got tested for that.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:43 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I did not get the tests. There is a high false positive in the triple screen. Then there is the risk of miscarriage if you get an amnio done. I knew I would love my child no matter what and could never murder them if something was found to be wrong. So I did not get the tests.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• nope, I didn't want to be tested. I know two people who had been tested and was told theyre baby was going to probably be a downs baby. Both are healthy and normal. But they went through the rest of the pregnancy terrified. Not ever doing that.
    lonelymom911

Answer by lonelymom911 at 11:46 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• i had an amnio at 37 weeks to check if his lungs were developed, but since i was only 20 i didnt need any tests except for the anatomy scan... i think i took the blood one though, whats it called? AFP?
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 11:50 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Oh you can't just say no. It depends on the test and the chances. I have a friend who was recently tested for heart defects and they are very serious and real for this baby. They have alot of preperation to do and this is not something they needed to be hit with the day the baby was born! Another mom I know had a baby with a cell disfunction. It may not be something for every mother and child. But like many things this isn't so black and white as some of you try to make it.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:54 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I guess it would depend on wheter or not you planned on ending the pregnancy if they found an abnormality. In most cases by the time they can do these test the baby is "past the age of viability" and then you are talking a partial birth abortion. Sorry not for me!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:20 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I chose to do the tests. I want to know if there something wrong so I can prepare for it. My niece and nephew were born with a type of muscular dystrophy (sp). There were specialist there when they were born. Mom knew what was going and had a plan. I could not imagine just giving birth to a baby then having a bunch of specialist being called and the baby having to go with them. That's assuming he specialists were there at the hospital, not at their clinics, offices or what ever. Then there is physical/occupation therapy and a whole more issues. I say give me time to do the research. Give me time to figure out the best thing for my baby.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 12:42 PM on Mar. 26, 2009