what can i do to calm my daughter down if she is having night terrors?

Abusive relationship and i couldn't take any more of it so i decided to move out well when i did my ex took off with my daughter. No matter how much i pleaded he would not give her back to me. Now i have her back and she wakes up at 1am and 6am screaming as if someone were killing her. She acts really scared and doesn't calm down too easily.So what can i do to get her to calm down and how can i get rid of her terrors.

aliyah_baby

Asked by aliyah_baby at 11:37 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know how you can get rid of night terrors in infants. I think only time can heal that. If it continues until she is old enough to communicate her feelings, it she might benefit seeing a child therapist. Until then, I would just take her out of the bedroom into a lighted area and hold onto her, comfort her until it passes.Try playing soothing music to take her mind off whatever is frightening her. I wouldn't return her to bed for 30 minutes and see if that helps to prevent it from reoccuring. I'm so sorry you went through the horrors of having your ex take off with your daughter. I'd make sure it cannot happen again, especially since he was abusive.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 11:44 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Night Terrors are unfortunatly something they just have to 'grow out of' Our son has them occasionally (used to be ALL the time, including naps) but I talked to doctors and other moms and they all told me the same thing. You can't really do anything to prevent them but when they happen hold them and comfort them as long as it takes. Our son wouldn't even wake up from his while we held him he would just scream and kick and hit trying to get away and even when his eyes were open it was like it didn't register who we were. It's scary and makes me feel awful I can't do more but i hope it gets better for you soon
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 11:48 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• If she is truly have night terrors & not nightmares, then they are more scary for you than they are for her. Night terrors are generally not remembered the next morning. So while it is really hard to watch & hear, it is probably harder on you. You can try to talk to her & keep her calm & definitely keep her from hurting herself or falling out of bed. Don't try to wake her up as that will really frighten her. With my daughter, she finally outgrew the night terrors. We also worked to make sure that she was kept really calm before bedtime--a bath, book, etc. You might also try moving her into your bed or your room & see if that helps her. Of course, you might be creating more problems by doing that in that you will never get her moved out again but it might help. Best of luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I would just say set the mood to be very, calm, relaxed and loving right before bed time. Maybe you guys could play a game or do some art or just read to her a happy book.
    Good luck!
    LimoMOM5

Answer by LimoMOM5 at 11:53 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Wake your daughter up before the night terror, say before one, and make sure she is fully awake. Then let her fall back to sleep. Wake her again before six and do the same thing. You shouldn't have to do this for very long, say a week at least. Let us know how things are going. Make sure she feels safe and secure with you in the day time, im sure you do already :) but never to much for a situation like this.
    san-1

Answer by san-1 at 11:55 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Anonymous is right about the night terrors and not remembering. Night terrors happen in a very deep sleep and night mares happen in stage one sleep. Stage one is associated with dreams and are very vivid. Stage four is when the night terrors happen and you hit that about twice a night. That is why we are trying to wake her up before stage four.
    san-1

Answer by san-1 at 12:00 PM on Mar. 26, 2009