U2 and spirituality

Have any of you considered the spiritual undertone in most- if not all- of the music of U2? My husband says they're the only Christian band to make it mainstream- thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My thought is your husband is too young to remember Stryper

And he should be thankful for that, trust me.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:02 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• It isn't surprising considering they grew up in the middle of a holy war. 

Anyway who cares!  I love U2 and they are awesome in concert.  I saw them in Birmingham, England the summer of 1987 (I had just gotten engaged lol).

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:16 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• IMO they are not a Christian band.

It is not clear that Bono is Christian and if he claims it as a religion, he certainly doesn't fit the mold for one. He has a intriguing way of looking at religious concepts but has said statements that don't actually insinuate he actually believes that Jesus was the son of God etc.

Anonymous

• There is a mold for being a Christian? Really, with all the interpretations going on daily by its members...there could actually be a mold to "fit" into??

I dont think they would be a christian rock band but they definately are political. I imagine the war they were brought up around would add some spiritual undertones to their political statments but not full on...kwim?

I, personally, am not a fan but they seem to be doing pretty good work out there and inspiring others.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 12:42 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2003/march/2.38.html?start=2
    Raintree

Answer by Raintree at 12:59 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I'm a big fan. Always have been. Actually, ''christian'' music drives me batty. I get more out of Bono's lyrics.

From what I've seen- Bono actually lives a more authentic Christian life than most.
    Raintree

Answer by Raintree at 1:01 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Stryper... haha... I met one of them once. Gross.
    Raintree

Answer by Raintree at 1:07 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• OP here. The part about U2 being a Christian band was meant as a joke.. sort of. I've been reading through their lyrics now that the new cd is out, and just was intrigued. Thought I'd share. Check out the lyrics to Magnificent-

http://www.u2.com/discography/lyrics/lyric/song/181
    Anonymous

• "There is a mold for being a Christian? Really, with all the interpretations going on daily by its members...there could actually be a mold to "fit" into??"

No kidding....if you look at Ozzy's lyrics you can see a lot of Christianity in it! :) (No, that's not a joke, I'm serious.)
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 1:18 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• OMG Stryper. Now theres a blast from the past.
    I am not really a fan of U2 but when I do listen the message is usually good.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:30 PM on Mar. 26, 2009