6 month old poop question

my baby has been constipated for the past week or so, only very small hard poops, then this morning he took a bigger one (still hard) and cried the whole way through, i called the docter and they said to try prune juice, i will, but he hasn't had prune or plums yet, and we just started a new food today, so do i give him the prune juice now, or wait three days and see if he has a reaction to the food we just started? also if anyone has anyother suggestions about how to get his poop softer, i would appreciate it.

gypsymama532

Asked by gypsymama532 at 11:51 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How long has he been on solids and what kind? It may be possible that the increase in solid food or the kind of solid food he has been eating is the real cause of the constipation.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:58 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• we started cereals at 4 months. he now eats peas, carrots, sweet potatos, apples, pears, recently we added squash, peaches, and today we tried papaya. he eats a fruit for breakfast and a veggie mixed in with a cereal for dinner.
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 12:03 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Lots of fluids- My daughter was the same way , she was drinking soy milk formula and she screamed when she poo pooed. It was terrible not being able to do anything. So i switched to milk based fromula. It mioght be as simple as that- Try a new formula. My friend reccommended the Suppoitories. They have them at rite-aid Thats where i got mine. You take it and cut it in half , then in half again. So you'll end up with 4 quarters. Then use one when hes really bad- Like when he screams because it hurts. It stimulates the pooper, it makes it easier to come out. I know gross huh. But it worked. Also, if what you started him on yesterday (new food), and hes ok from it. then try prune juice. I put like a tablespoon in a 8 oz bottle. Let me know how it goes. Good luck!!
    casd

Answer by casd at 12:03 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• oh and he is breastfed
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 12:04 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• the apple or prune juice will help
    goatmom4

Answer by goatmom4 at 12:58 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• The one week rule is a little excessive with stage one foods. They very rarely cause reactions. I would just give him straight prunes, and you can do it today.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:19 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• i would try pear juice seeing as how he has already had pears.
    beck_9808

Answer by beck_9808 at 2:23 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Also I would lay off the cereals for awhile. We only give our daughter cereal rarely and always with fruit now because she was getting constipated.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:23 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• you might need to try a differ cereal. If your using rice go to oats, or what ever else they have now.
    casd

Answer by casd at 3:21 PM on Mar. 26, 2009