More time in school than home

Does it depress anyone to know that Mon-Fri your kids spend more time in school than with you?
Mon-fri school:(7am-4pm-bus time included) home: (4pm-9pm bed time) and thats not even counting if the kids have activities afterschool!

Do you think this is why kids are having more problems today?
Is it sad that now days we spend more time with our co-workers, than with our families?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well Amen! You are one of the few who even care that the government and other institutions are raising your children and molding into their image! It is sad and yes, that is among the biggest problem with children today and families at large. Parents are supposed to train and raise their own children and somehow they want you believe that they love them yet give the greatest responsibility and majority of their precious children's lives away to others. What a hypocrisy, and you wonder why children are angry and depressed! I hope you'll actually act on what you are saying and keep yours home where they belong.
    lilhoney

Answer by lilhoney at 12:06 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• This sounds like a question straight from a SAHM, Homeschooling mom, doesn't it.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm very strange. Very odd.

Very trollish...
    Anonymous

• that is one reason i homeschool.
    jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 12:06 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• but its an honest question :) dont understand the troll part.....
    my dh boss is the one that told dh one day "you better like who you work with because you will spend more time with them than you do your own family"
    Anonymous

• lilhoney the day I realized this... it almost brought me to TEARS! I always imagined enjoying sending my child to school, me getting a small job (that fit around the SCHOOLS SCHEDULE!) and enjoy the typical american life... Then this was brought to my attention.. Now when I think of sending my child to public school I feel like im on the losing end of a custody battle-- WITH THE GOVERMENT! .. I only get my child a few hours a day, weekends & short summers!

Anonymous

• I plan to drive my son to school and pick him up every afternoon. So I figure he'll be there about 6-7 hours. No more. I am very much agaisnt him getting on a school bus (and no offense to anyone here at all, so don't even start bashing me)
    Anonymous

• or shall i say I would get... dd is only 2 and im a sahm.
    Anonymous

• I am a sahsm to a 14 y/o and we drive her to school and I pick her up after school. There are several reasons for this including: I know what goes on on that bus.

We leave the house at 7:30 in the AM and is picked up about 2:40.

If we lived in a different school district I may homeschool but this one is pretty good, so I generally trust them, but communicate with teachers quite frequently.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 12:39 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• No, it doesn't. They would rather go to school where they have friends and peers of their age...where they can do cool stuff and get away from me and stretch their wings and test themselves and their independance. I'm not worried because I've raised them well and I trust them and what I've taught them. The whole purpose of parenting is to raise kids that can leave you one day and go out into the world and become a productive citizen of society. I feel like I'm doing a good job with that and so do my kids.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 12:41 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• No it does not depress me, it's their education, we are blessed that the school our children go to teaches them the same morals we teach at home. I am a SAHM and drive my children to school Mon. Tues. Thurs. and Fri., they get there at 8:50 and on Wed. it's late start and I drop them off at 9:50. I pick them up at 3:15 every day after school and volunteer every week in both of their classrooms. Between that and the vacations they have and Summer Vacation, I get them far more than the school does. I feel if you like the school they are in, it's no problem. I don't believe in homeschooling for my own personal reasons (no bashing) so I feel them being in one of the top schools in our State gives them a far superioor education than I could. We teach them the things that schools don;t teach, that's our job as parents.

happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 12:44 PM on Mar. 26, 2009