Any tips on training a newborn (about 5 weeks old) to sleep in her crib???

She sleeps with me every night, but I feel it's time to ween (sp?) her off my bed and into her crib. It's so hard because when she wakes up hungry, all I have to do is plop out the boob and put it into her mouth. Don't even have to get up! Plus I get to cuddle her everynight! I'm gonna miss it, but it's for the best to have her in her own crib. She's been in it once and is just sitting there collecting dust! lol. So any advice on how to do this effectively would be great! Thanks in advance mama's! xoxo

mamakat21

Asked by mamakat21 at 12:07 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I read that to train baby's to sleep in there crib you just need to start a routine :) And your not being LAZY!!! You should only change a diaper at nite if 1. its soaking through and 2. if its poopy! (so you dont wake them up fully!) Check out parents.com, they have great ideas and routines to try.... My son is a BIG co-sleeper due to he loves the boobies, He's 8 weeks old and only wakes up at 1:30ish to pop the boob in his mouth, not even eating!! lol... For the last 4 nites we are training in the bassinet and last nite he slept till 4:30!!! Went to bed at 8!!! YAY!! So follow what parents.com says and she will get there!!! But IMO, I would hold off alittle longer, babies get alot from skin to skin contact and YOU LOVE IT!! I miss it and have NOT been sleeping worth a poop! Check it out and GOOD LUCK!!! P.S Your not being lazy!!!
    ashley_hatty

Answer by ashley_hatty at 12:44 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• No advice, but just an FYI. My daughters 2 and we are just now getting her into her own bed. A big girl bed (toddler bed) she slept in a crib for a while but would cry because she knew we would pick her up and put her in bed with us.She likes her todd bed now but oh god it was hard to break her of sleeping with mommy or daddy (we switched nights on who slept with her) By the way we still sleep in her room on the adult bed- We still take turns. But i wish I had cut her off "so to speak" earlier. Like I said shes 2 and i still sleep in her room. Best of luck to ya
    casd

Answer by casd at 12:15 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Since you are breastfeeding, why not get a moses basket or bassinet instead of putting her in the crib? Some newborns might have a hard time adjusting to the crib because it's so big and they don't feel like they are being cuddled anymore. My newborn is almost 2 months and I let him sleep everywhere so he gets used to things. During one of his mini naps i'll put him in his car seat, swing, bassinet and crib and always to sleep in the bassinet at night. Try letting her take naps in the crib and if she sleeps there during nap time, she will probably sleep there at night to.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 12:19 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• My advice is DON"T do it! Get a cosleeper and put her in there if you want her in her own seperate space. One of the things I loved about nursing was being able to just whip it out in the middle of the night and not have to make bottles etc. As for the poster who said youa re being lazy and what about diaper changes, well I have diapers in my bedroom and yes I do grab one off the night stand and change them, then nurse and go right back to sleep. The dirty diaper is thrown away in the morning!!! Sheesh people. My 3 year old sleeps in his big boy bed just fine and my 21 month old is still in the crib next to our bed because she is still nursing! OMG I am gonna get it for that now too!!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:27 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• lol anon...who said i don't get up to change her? Sheesh! Leave your negative comments at the door. I'm not being lazy..I just enjoy sleeping with my daughter!
    mamakat21

Answer by mamakat21 at 12:33 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• haha thanks aeneva,....yeah you prolly will get it! haha! I had a bassinette in AZ but moved to CO a few weeks ago and couldn't take it with me. Too big. So all I have is a crib, and my bed! lol. I don't want her to sleep with me when she's older. What if I wanna be initmate with someone and all she wants to do is sleep with mommy??? lol...I wanna nip it in the bud right now while she's young. I like the nap suggestion...She's sleeping on my lap right now...I think I'll try to puther in the crib. Lets see how long it will last! lmao! xoxo
    mamakat21

Answer by mamakat21 at 12:38 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I love these heated debates that go so far from your original question.... Cosleeping or not is your choice... I did for about 6 weeks not entirely by choice, but because I couldn't get her to sleep in her COSLEEPER bassinet! What finally worked for me, if you are looking to put her in a crib, was swaddling. She had slept well swaddled at the hospital, but once we got home we thought she hated it because she'd scream right at first, and she was really colicky. Anyway, at about 6 weeks I tried it again with a Miracle Blanket and she loved it! She would fuss while I was putting her into it, but then she would sleep like a little angel in her own space. After a week or so of doing it, all I would have to do is swaddle her and she would turn her head to the side and close her eyes. I was finally able to sleep. Cosleeping just didn't work for me... I constantly awoke with a start, worried I had smothered her. This did.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:18 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• When my son was about 5 weeks old I started putting him in his crib for naps or just to play for a bit, and Id turn on his mobile so that he felt comfortable in there. And then about 6 weeks I started putting him in there for bed. Id rock him to sleep, and after about a week or so of that I would just put him in his crib when he was drowsey but not overly tired, and turn on his mobile and a nightlight and his fan, and he'll lay there and talk to his mobile until he falls asleep. And ever since he has fell alseep on his own and slept though the night. Every baby is different but if you get her into a routine. Like we do bottle, a bath, a book, and then lay him down. I too couldnt sleep soundly with the cosleep. I did it for a awhile, but just needed a sound night of sleep. Good luck.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 2:56 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• If you enjoy sleeping with your baby you you are finding it easy to nurse during the night then there is no reason to move her to her crib. My cribs "collected dust" for the first several months.

You say you want to move her because that is best for her, this is just not true! Check out all of the research and info from the The University of Notre Dame Mother-Baby Behavioral Sleep Lab at http://www.nd.edu/~jmckenn1/lab/index.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:24 PM on Mar. 26, 2009