Do your kids know how to swim?

What age did they learn, about how long did it take them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• Both of my girls know how to swim. They stated lessons at a year old and at that stage they only really learned how to get back to a wall and roll over to their back and float. Once they turned three I took them to a six week lesson which was held twice a week and they learned how to really swim, over water, under water....by the end of the six weeks they were pros.
    LimoMOM5

Answer by LimoMOM5 at 12:19 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• My son who is 4 can swim over water, but will not get his face wet. He can float as well.
    I'm a believer that EVERY child needs to know how to swim. and EVERY parent needs to know how to swim as well.
    DancerMomof2

Answer by DancerMomof2 at 12:22 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• My son is almost 2 and we have a pool at our house so I've had him in the water since he was 6 mo old. Just to make him comfortable. He uses floaties but will jump right in and knows to stroke his arms and kick his feet. He will dunk himself under water and everything. I think its important to get your kid comfortable with water so they aren't afriad when it comes time to learn to swim. We are doing little lessons ourselves for now and this summer he will be taking professional swimming lessons. I love the water its fun for them and you get to enjoy being outside in the sun and then afterwards they take long naps lol
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 12:32 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I agree with dancermomof2. it's important that all children and parents know how to swim.
    annelebar

Answer by annelebar at 12:35 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• My two oldest are taking lessons now....they are 5 and 3 years. My 2 year old will take them as soon as he turns three (the youngest the Y here offers actual lessons)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:40 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Yes, amazingly.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 12:55 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Not yet but I'll be putting her in classes this summer. She'll be 3 in July.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:57 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Both of my sons can. I've had both of them in the pool since the first summer after their births, starting out holding them and then just working with them gradually, until they on their own would dog paddle and more, they decided on their own when they were ready to go underwater. No formal swimming lessons, but they are both little fish now. They also can recite for you every pool rule, with first and last rule both being that no one under 18 goes near the pool without someone over 18 with them and aware of what is going on. (as they get older, they will be allowed more freedom with the pool, as teenagers and such, but it's easier for now to be that strict so they understand the seriousness.)
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 1:21 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• my daughters been in many swimming classes..but still cant swim..drives me crazy!! and yet she loooooves water!! she just doesnt understand the concept of it..same with when using a life jacket she doesnt get that it will support her above water...ohh well..i guess with time eventually she'll get it...ohh yaa..and shes 4..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:39 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• My son is 5 and can swim...he's been taking lessons since he was 3.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 3:05 PM on Mar. 26, 2009