How do I deal with a daughter that thinks she knows it all?

My daughter thinks she can tell me what to do and I am supposed to do it. Of course I don't, but it's getting pretty old. How do I get her out of this habit?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• She is a teen and I think that teens often go through this... all you can do is lay down the law!
    onyourterms

Answer by onyourterms at 12:14 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Didnt you know that teenagers are the smartest people out there? This genius behavior and thinking last until they are about 25. Truly the only thing you can do is constantly remind her that its your job as a parent to bust her bubble.

mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 12:14 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• reverse psychology? "you seem to know everything, so maybe you can do everything yourself."

then have her do everything for herself... laundry, cooking, etc.
    no allowance. money isn't just handed to you in real life. you have to work for it. you really have to work for everything when you're an adult. let her run out of clothes until she need them to be washed.

then successfully find time to do homework. this could be an interesting "experiment"/life lesson.

if she asks you for help... act all aloof, "i'm sorry, i don't know what i'm doing.. i thought you knew everything".

of course if /when she gives up.. then you guys can work out a compromise. or whatever.

idk.. just an idea. my child's not at that age yet. =\
    Anonymous

• when you find out let me know!!! LOL they are all like this we just have to deal with it. I am 50 and I still remember being a teen!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:18 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• LOL So so normal :)

I just laugh it off and say "do you want to go to work with your Dad and help him out, he's been having a little trouble (fill in the blank) and could really use someone who knows it all"
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 12:31 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• LOL oh the payback i have to look forward to :p
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 12:37 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Anon 12:18 is right. Even though she said she didn't have a child that age...shes right on. My 14 thinks she knows it all too. I let her think whatever she wants because one day...I know that she will come to me and admit that she didnt know everything. I did that to my dad..LOL.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:36 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• This is an age where our children have a lot of responsibility and still want to be a kid. We tell them to grow up and then we tell them to be more child like. This is a challenging time for our teens. They are going through body changes, hormone changes, driving posibilities and peer pressure. The are trained to be smart and get serious and then we wonder why they think they know it all.

When our oldest decided he knew everything as a teen my husband told him this: "Make sure you make your millions now while you know everything because when you get to be are age you are going to be dumb and stupid just like us!" My son at that time said "Yeah Right!" Needless to say he is 22 now and now sees the wisdom of his parents a little more clearly.

Channel that new found teenage wisdom into something productive! Have them get a job, start a business or volunteer in the community so they can see how much they really know!
    LegacyKimberley

Answer by LegacyKimberley at 4:44 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Agreed, it is time for a job. That is what I had to do. I have to say though, it didn't teach me much, I was already too stupid at that point.
    Yasmin

Answer by Yasmin at 11:32 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• THIS IS A PHASE, WE HAVE ALL BEEN THROUGH IT AND MANY MORE TEENS WILL DO THE SAME. PLAY ALONG WITH THE SMARTY PANTS BUT WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT LET HER BE DISRESPECTFUL, SHE WILL OUTGROW IT EVENTUALLY. ISN'T TEEN YEARS WONDERFUL??

Answer by older at 10:16 AM on Mar. 28, 2009