Taking a shower with your child....

How old, is too old, for someone to be taking a shower with their own child that is the opposite sex?

My husband will not take a shower with our daughter (who is 16 months old)

THIS QUESTION IS IN NO WAY MENT TO BE PERVERTED OR PEDIPHILE RELATED...

DancerMomof2

Asked by DancerMomof2 at 12:20 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• If you don't make a big deal out of it, nothing is wrong with it. If you think that sometime if your child's life, they are not accidently going to see one or both parents naked, you are mistaken.

My husband probably only did it a couple of times, but stopped when they were about 5 or so. Now, me, heck my daughters and I used to run to the laundry room or whatnot when we were alone.

As far as your husband not feeling comfortable, that is his feelings. You cannot change that. However, I hope he realizes there is alot more to come,especially when she turns into a teenager.

Like, I said, don't make a big deal out of it and it won't be a bad thing.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:28 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I never took showers with my kids and I don't think it's a good habit to start either. I don't see a reason why a daddy would need to take a shower with his daughter no matter how young she is. There are other forms of "bonding" that are more appropriate.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 12:23 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I sure wouldn't insist that he does, little girls do notice the difference and why should he be naked in front of a child that is capable of distinguishing that difference and have a sense of shame or embarrassment. It isn't a bad thing for a grown man to stay clothed in the presence of little girls that's for sure!

lilhoney

Answer by lilhoney at 12:24 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• i can understand if your hubby feels a little uncomfortable with showering with his baby daughter.
    sometimes it's just a guy thing.

but i don't think 16 months is too old.
    maybe around the 2ish age. after two.. to 3 is when they really start remembering things.
    idk.. the ages thing always seems different between moms and dads.

so in *my* opinion if he's ever goin to... now's a great time.
    Anonymous

• *cont. from12:28. any later.. and i wouldn't.
    Anonymous

• i agree with m-avi.. guys hate when you make a big deal outta stuff like this.
    if he chooses to then fine. but if not, i wouldn't push it. =\

r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 12:33 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I did with our son till he was one. Our daughter is 6 and I still take one with her when time is tight in the mornings.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 12:35 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I'm a single mom of a two year old son. I shower with him because most of the time, it just makes sense to, time-wise. he knows there are differences between us, but i don't make a big deal out of it.
    annelebar

Answer by annelebar at 12:39 PM on Mar. 26, 2009