11-month-old constipated?

My 11-month-old girl seems to be constipated for the last few days. She has to try really hard to "go" and then what she does get out is like a little rock! She drinks apple juice (diluted with water) a lot and she breastfeeds still (no formula) so I am not sure what's causing it. But we can't get into the doctor right now due to a Medicaid slip up (don't you love it?) so I am turning to you mommies for help. Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Pears and prunes help with constipation! I would try pears first because they taste so much better.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:42 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• My doctor always told me to mix a tsp. of karo syryp into there drink.
    Anonymous

• Is karo syrup safe?
    Anonymous

• Try a little bit of prune juice, like an ounce. Our pediatrician told us to do this with son, and he's had to drink a little bit of prune juice every day since he was about 1 month old otherwise he gets so constipated.
    happymom0724

Answer by happymom0724 at 1:18 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Call your pedi to ask what to do. When my boys were infants we were told karo syrup. We also went with pears and peaches.

I'd cut back/cut out the apple juice for now and for yourself, cut back on dairy products since she's nursing.

If you can get her to eat fresh fruits and veggies that's great too!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:19 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Karo Syrup is a clear syrup used a lot in cooking. Therefore you can find it near the baking/cooking area in the grocery store. I have used that method before and it helps. I have also used Little Tummies. Its in the pharmacy area near all the other stomach care stuff like pepto. You have to be very careful not to give too much because it is very effective, also it stains stuff really easily because it's chocolate flavored and dark brown. I guess it's almost like Ex-Lax for babies...
    aidengrant07

Answer by aidengrant07 at 2:27 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• We battled constipation with my daughter for the first year and a half. My pedi suggested Miralax in small doses. We gave her 1 teaspoon everyday. It really helped and it is safe and non-habit forming. We also used white grape juice (watered down) as the apple juice was not working. Also, as twinclubmom says, the doc says cut back on dairy. You can buy Miralax over the counter and put it in her juice. good luck! I know how bad it can be!
    gracielusmom

Answer by gracielusmom at 2:53 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I have twins 17 mo one is always constipated the other gets diareahea all the time so what we did and works in the morning ( usually about everyother day ) first bottle - Billy who is contsipated gets and ounce of prune juice diluted with 6oz of water and the other gets milk or water only, he is off of fruit juices for two weeks and see if that helps
    fruit juices naturally loosen the stool... so try the prune juice and await an explosion
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 6:21 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I'd go with prunes. . . When my son (17months old) is bound up 2 oz of pureed prunes does the trick. (just a hint, don't have her ware a onesie if you are feeding prunes incase of diaper overflow Ewww) Another idea (but I can't remember if they can have them at 11months) is graham crackers. My son loves them but if he eats too many or too frequently his stools are very loose.

My MIL and SIL swear by graham crackers or molasses or marshmellows (for much older kids) to help the poo move.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:25 PM on Mar. 26, 2009