Writings of Jesus and writings of Paul? Why do some not like Paul's but like Jesus'

I have seen a few times here where people talk about "Well, was that something Jesus taught or was it something Paul taught?" and talk about Paul's teaching didn't line up with Jesus' teachings. Paul teachings are harmful to Christianity, etc.

What is this line of thinking?

(for me- I believe the Bible when it says the entire Bible is GOD'S WORD-- No matter what man did the writing, God did all the talking for it! Meaning what Paul wrote is just as much from God as what is in Psalms, Matthew, Genesis, etc)

Kiter

Asked by Kiter at 1:09 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• kiter, sorry i never messaged you back, i forgot.

its not that i dont believe anything that Paul wrote. its that i will chose Jesus' teachings over Pauls. Paul comes off as very arrogant. he writes about how women are to be silent & to throw away childhood things. Jesus said nothing about quieting women & said we should be as children.

but my biggest problems are (1) the parts authored by Paul that the Christian haters use to judge & belittle others are written so that we can tell whose "good" or "bad". (2) the fact that Jesus taught 2 things above all others, love God w/ your everything & treat everyone the way you want to be treated. Yet Paul's teachings are that no matter what you do, even if you are horrible, words are what save you. Jesus did want us to be good & do good & also have faith. so all the faith not works parts Paul taught are wrong. and cont...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:39 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• i believe the same thing you do about the Word of God being inspired... and stuff.

but, i thought Jesus didn't actually write anything/books while here on earth.

Paul writes ABOUT Jesus.. so yea that line of thinking is... different.
    Anonymous

• Jesus was big on forgiving and helping others. Paul was big on telling other people what to do. I do see a big difference in emphasis between the gospels and Paul's writings. It may all be the word of God, but Jesus was the son of God and Paul was a man.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:37 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I should have said Jesus' TEACHING and Paul's WRITINGS. Sorry... but I hope you all knew what I meant.

riotgrrl- so do you believe(live accordningly to) Jesus's techings but not Paul's?

Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 1:43 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Paul spoke on Grace. Paul recognized WHO Grace was and is . Jesus spoke on relationship with His Father and the power of His Love. The reason many prefer Jesus' words over Paul's writings is because of the lack of understanding of what Grace really is.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:21 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I was just a bit suprised when I read a few comments last week from people who 'follow the teachings of Christ'- but not the 'teachings of Paul'.

I always figured you followed the teachings of the bible or you didn't. and yes some peple seem to pick and choose different things, but I never heard of people picking and choosing different books or the Gospels over the books of the Apostle.

What about the other books of the Apostles? Books not wriitten by Paul (other than the Gospels)?
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 2:31 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• What many don't realize is that anything that is written in the Bible was inspired from God. Even what Paul wrote. He wrote under the inspiration and guidance of the Holy Spirit. Since he gets more in your face than Jesus, most want to dismiss what he wrote as telling them what to do. Not true at all. In fact, I love reading what Paul wrote. He's one of the most inspired writers in the Bible. He and John,both.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 2:55 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I like Paul's writing's, personally. He was trying to save those he cared about rather than let them continue on their sinful paths. IDK what the big deal is . . . ?
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:11 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I don't know what the big deal is either. that's why I asked.

So, people that believe Jesus' teacings but not Pauls- also believe that not all scripture is Inspired by God.
    How do they decide which are?
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 3:30 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• My personal take on it, is the bible is what it is. People take it and twist it and turn it to fit their own needs and desires, sometimes selfishly and not biblically.

Me? I take it literally. I believe that if it's in there, it happened.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:37 PM on Mar. 26, 2009