Question about potty training a boy!!!!

My son turned 2 in Feb. and I think its time to potty train. He can now tell me when he went pee pee or tinky after that fact and he has a dry diaper more often. My daughter was very easy to train, she was interested and wanted to and used the potty for the 1st time at 18 months. When i tried to get my son to just sit on the potty to introduce him to it he started to cry he didnt like his diaper off and pointed at himself looking confused. He also seems to be very sensitive about his privet area. Whenever I bath him or change is diaper he gets really upset if i touch it with the wash cloth or wipe. Is this normal? Is it true that boys are harder to potty train than girls? He is supposed to start pre-school in Aug. and i dont want to rush him but id be great if he could be trained by then. Any advice or comments would help thank you!

candace71306

Asked by candace71306 at 1:18 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We are training our son now. Of course he was interested at 18 months and has 'dabbled' in it since but I never wanted to train him (I wanted him to stay a baby) But I read somewhere to tell them for a few days that they aren't going to be wearing diapers anymore (it actually may have been on here that I saw that) so I did. I told him for 3 days "your going to wear big boy underwear and not diapers ok" He told me NO and would hand me diapers but then when the 3 days were up I just put on big boy underwear on him and put his potty in the middle of the living room (a place he sees it a lot) and haven't had any problems. He still wears diapers for nap time and bed time but I want him to get used to this first and then see about not wearing them for nap time. I didn't want to overwhelm him, esp since he does a lot of his peeing while sleeping GOOD LUCK
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 1:30 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• my son is 1 week from being 17 months old and has NO interest in it at all. We show him when he have to go potty but he laughs and runs away. I show him if he has a pee or poop diaper but he doesn't care. He also seems to be very sensitive in his penis area. when I wipe the tip he says "I know" which is what I say to him when he would have a rash or when I am changing him and he doesn't want me to - I say, I know honey - so its a soothing I KNOW. that he's saying to me like it bothers him. My mom told me to buy a potty but I just don't think he cares at all yet
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:39 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Every boy/girl is different then the next. I bought the potty books, the dvd's and the potty Elmo too. We would give him treats or stickers on his sticker chart when he went on the potty. And when he saw kids just a bit older going in the potty already he was hooked. He thought that was cool.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 1:54 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I used a piggy bank for my little man, he won't use or do anything intil i watched him putting pennies in his piggy bank from there never had a problem
    Anonymous

• My 1st son started wearing jockey from maybe 1 year and started asking to pee a short while after but he wouldn't go to the toilet to poop...he started asking to do that when i had my 2nd child (he was 4 years by then)..I just left him and he started using it on his own..he probably figured he's a big boy now..
    my 2nd son is now 2..he started wearing jockeys by 1 also...he asks to pee but he wouldn't do it if u carry him to the toilet..I waiting and watching what this one will do now..
    Anonymous