Does WATERED-DOWN juice cut down the nutritional value of the juice?

I have an 18 month old who is severely allergic to milk and soy. I do give her apple juice (a 6oz box) once a day with her breakfast. I used to water down her juice when she started juice at 8 month (50% water and 50% juice) but lately, I stopped because I read watered down juice cuts down the nutritional value of the juice (as well as the sugar content). I believe in moderation and would rather give her the full 100% of all vitamins contained in the juice.

So what do you guys think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It does cut both the nutritional value and the sugar content. I would still water it, and just give her two servings over the course of the day for the nutrients. The extra water is good for her.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:31 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• My son is 11 months old, I water his down. If I don't it is too strong and gives him diaper rash and uspsets his tummy. I think that younger babies should have theirs watered down, but at 18 months no. If they are drinking enough of it, they will get all the vitamins any way right? And children are supposed to drink water also, they need a least a glass a day so that they get all the floride that is in the water, (unless you have well water).
    Anonymous

• Honestly there isnt a whole lot of nutritional value to juice. If youre worried about the vitamins give them fruit instead. I would continue to water it down, juice has A LOT of sugar.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 1:34 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I would still water it down babies don't need so much sugar even if it's fruit sugars if you r worried about getting enough nutrition talk to your pediatrician about a multi vitamin you can give her go to your nearest health food store...
    but don't stock her up on all that sugar it's terrible for them!
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 1:37 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• There's less nutrition when you water down the juice, yes. Does it matter? If you're giving your child the appropriate servings per day of all of the vital minerals and vitamins that are recommended, no, it doesn't matter. There are other things that don't contain so much sugar that your child could be getting their nutrition from. I'd keep watering down that juice in order to keep your child's pancreas from having to do overtime with the sugar content and then suppliment with vitamins or vegitables to obtain the rest of the nutrition.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:40 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• She'd get better nutrition either way from real fruit. I'd keep watering it down.

But then I still water down the juice of my 3 and 2 year olds....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:55 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I'd keep watering it down.

What are you giving her for her "milk" (just curious)? One of mine is allergic to dairy but is fine with soy so that's what they both drink.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:15 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Yeah, juice doesn't have as much nutritional value as you might think. Keep her hydrated and offer lots of whole fruits. I would dilute the juice, otherwise it's more sugary.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:26 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• yep..it does cut down the nutritional value . If they are younger and now started drinking juice, it's ok and as they get older..you can water it down less and less...u can also give them water and fresh fruits to compensate..
    Anonymous

• My kids are 4 and 2 and their juice still gets watered down. Theres so much sugar (even natural) in it that I feel better with it watered down. I started to buy Motts for Tots cause its pre watered down juice, its about 50/50 juice and water and they still love it.
    Anne.Marie

Answer by Anne.Marie at 3:29 PM on Mar. 26, 2009