irritability contractions every minute. whats going on?

I went in to the hospital the other day because I am 6 months pregnant (nest week) and I was having the urge to push. They hooked me up to the moniter and examined me and my cervix was still closed but I am contracting every minute. They doctor told me that they are called irritability contractions which can make you dialte but they dont last as long as normal contractions. They only last about 30 seconds. I just dont know whats going on. please help.

nikki-blu

Asked by nikki-blu at 1:32 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Ive never heard of that but you should probably be admitted for constant monitoring and get some medicine to stop ethe contractions you really dont want to deliver yet your baby most likely would spend quite a bit of time in a NICU
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 1:35 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I have never heard of that either. 30 seconds seem long to have a 'not-real' contraction. I would just suggest paying close attention to your body and if you have any changes or it gets more frequent or more painful see your dr.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 1:40 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Yeah that sounds serious. I would at least go in and have a more in depth conversation with yout Dr about what he is going to do about it. Meds maybe.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 1:40 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• WELL THE DOCTOR TOLD YOU BASICALLY WHAT IT IS.
    IF YOU DONT TRUST HIM THAN SEEK A SECOND OPINION.
    MY FIRST PREGNANCY I RAN TO THE HOSPITAL ALOT ALSO..
    UNTIL MY FIRST LABOR AND I FELT REAL CONTRACTION..
    WELL NOT REAL ONES BUT FAR ALONG ONES WHEN YOU
    ARE ABOUT TO PUSH THE BABY OUT AND THE PAIN IS
    UNBEARABLE (KUDOS TO MOMS WHO DELIVER DRUG-FREE).
    SOMETIMES YOU JUST FEEL YOUR STOMACH MUSCLE
    STRETCHING TO MAKE ROOM FOR THE BABY.
    DON'T STRESS OUT IF THE DOCTOR SAID ITS NOTHING THO.
    bronxcouture

Answer by bronxcouture at 1:51 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I would go in again... They should give yo fluids and stuff to stop them... You have them when you dont drink enough or are doing too much... Call L&D and go in! Good Luck!
    ashley_hatty

Answer by ashley_hatty at 1:52 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I had something similar with my son they were called "Braxton hicks" contractions. The doctor said they were nothing to worry about. I would be cautious though.
    flowerchid72

Answer by flowerchid72 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• i had that exact problem just 2 weeks ago . they had told me to just rest told me not to do any serious walking or anything . but to come back in if they continue or if they get worse . they also said to not have sex for a little bit just so that i know that it isnt just irritability again .
    drink slots of water about a gallon a day . if it keeps happening or get worse go get checked other then that things should be fine just keep a really close eye on it
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:04 PM on Mar. 26, 2009