self cleaning oven?

how long does you self cleaning oven run for? and when you run it does it smell? i have never used this feature but i am pregnant and just dont feel like getting down there and cleaning the oven. mine is running for 4hrs 20 min... and smells is this normal?

twinsnseptember

Asked by twinsnseptember at 1:33 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Mine runs for about 4 1/2 hours. The very first time I cleaned it, it smelled HORRIBLE!!! Since then, I try to remember to run mine every 2 or 3 months. It doesn't smell as bad, and sometimes it doesn't smell at all.
    Also, if you've ever used oven cleaner in it (which, like the PP said, you're not supposed to), it could be smelling worse from burning those chemicals off.
    When it's done, you're oven won't "unlock" until it's completely cooled (about an hour & a half more, for mine). When it does, you'll see the ash in it (grayish powder). That's the remnants of everything that it burnt off. You'll still have to wipe it out, but you won't have to scrub, at least!
    amy_k_in_pa

Answer by amy_k_in_pa at 4:07 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I usually reduce the time on mine because it does smell and get very hot. 3 hours is enough time. I would reduce it.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 1:35 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Mine smells to, so I don't use it, and it runs for 3 hours. But due to pregnancy you SHOULD NOT be cleaning your oven. Oven cleaner is one of the most dangerous cleaners in a household.
    Anonymous

• Yes it is normal..Your not suppose to use oven cleaner in self cleaning ovens. I just open all my windows when I clean mine.

Answer by louise2 at 1:37 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• We have one. It does smell and every oven it seems has a different time setting. I usually set it and when the smell starts I turn on the fans and open the windows. Then I take my boys outside to play for awhile.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 1:37 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• why do they smell? i do mine sometimes and it smells so bad i have to take my dd and myself out until its done, and the hubby stays home. oh and you shouldnt put oven cleaner into a self cleaning oven
    Anonymous

• THEY ALWAYS SMELL.
    ITS LIKE BURNING ALL THAT BURNT
    ON STUFF OFF.. SO I GUESS THAT MAKES
    A SMELL.. IDK.
    BUT DONT WORRY.
    ALSO I THINK MOST SELF CLEANING
    OVENS ARE ALSO SELF TIMED.
    bronxcouture

Answer by bronxcouture at 1:38 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• They smell because they are burning off the burnt on food.
    Anonymous

• amy k in pa then i guess i am going to have to go and get a shovel to get the ashes out because i cant tell you the last time that i cleaned it and i cooked lasagna in there the other night and it spilled over. when i made bread in there last night it was smoking up the house. that's why i had to clean it.    thanks for the answer

twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 4:49 PM on Mar. 26, 2009