Drinking Milk

We finally weaned my 16-1/2 month old son off his bottles before nap and bedtime of Milk but now he won't drink it at all. I offer all day in sippy cups,. warming it up, giving him chocolate milk but he refuses it everytime. He will drink water like its going out of style but he NEEDS milk. what should I do?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 1:42 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he's not reacting well to dairy, then he shouldn't be drinking milk. Just let him have his water and give him his calcium and vitamin D from other sources. He doesn't NEED the milk, and if he's having a reaction to dairy, he shouldn't be drinking it anyway.

A friend of mine had a daughter who would absolutely refuse to eat eggs or drink milk. Turns out she had an allergy to each of them! The allergist said most kids will refuse to eat or drink what doesn't agree with them.
    Anonymous

• GIVE HIM A BUNCH OF DAIRY PRODUCTS LIKE
    YOGART AND CHEESE.
    MY BEST FRIENDS BABY WENT THRU THIS
    STAGE WHERE SHE WOULDNT DRINK MILK.
    TRY ADDING A LITTLE STRAWBERRY SYRUP,
    OR CHOCOLATE SYRUP. THE BABY MAY LIKE
    IT AND DRINK IT, PLUS SOME OF THEM HAVE
    ADDED CALCIUM.
    bronxcouture

Answer by bronxcouture at 1:45 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I suppose I should have added the fact that he also doesn't handle dairy right now - he breaks out in red freckles and gets very constipated so i found soy milk and soy cheese and yogurt...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:53 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• My son totally stopped drinking milk when I took his bottle away. He just started having chocolate milk and he's 6! He still refuses milk even in his cereal! I just make sure he eats yogurt and cheese...not sure what else you can do.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 2:00 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I asked my PED to get him tested for allergies and he won't. He says they are unnecessary and not accurate at this age anyway. so we are in the process of getting a new one for a second opinion and for someone to refer us to get him tested cause we are not exactly sure what he doesn't react to well since he's a fussy child as it is. We would never be able to tell strictly by mood.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:12 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Sounds like a dairy allergy. One of my twins has a dairy allergy so they both drink soy and eat soy yogurt/other soy products instead.

The way to properly make the transition is to replace the formula/breast milk one ounce at a time with the soy every other day at one feeding. Once you get to half formula/half soy, he can have it that way all day. Continue to increase the soy by an ounce every other day.
    The soy milk (even the plain) is sweet so he should take to it no problem.
    Good luck!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:13 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Just supplement his diet with calcium rich foods instead. Milk isn't necessary at all.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 3:36 PM on Mar. 26, 2009