Answers and super helpful info for people who want to breed shelter dogs!

A rescued dog does not have papers. This means you have no way of knowing anything about your dog's parents or her parents parents. Even if you were to get your particular dog's hips, hearing, eyes and temperament tested and she is found to be healthy and free of flaws, you still don't know if her ancestors were also free from disease. Your dog may carry genes for undesirable health and/or temperament traits, even if these traits do not actually appear in your dog.

Responsible breeders will only breed a dog to improve the quality of the breed. Since you don't know the genetic history of a rescue dog, there is NO responsible way to breed this particular dog, or any rescue dog for that manner.

Breeding dogs of unknown descent results in disease, genetic problems and behavior problems. (I.E. AGGRESSION).

aurorabunny

Asked by aurorabunny at 1:48 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Pets

• Lets see, I have 4 dogs, One male 3 Female. WHENEVER I walk them etc, people inevitably stop me and ask me if I have puppies from them or if I will have puppies from them with their dog. They dont care about my dogs breeding, they dont care about what health concerns my dogs may have , NOTHING. They just want to or suppose that I engage in the indiscriminate breeding of my SHELTER DOGS. This is a TERRIBLE practice. I have a Red , red nosed female Pit Bull. She is beautiful and people LOVE her and always ask about puppies. If she wasnt spayed, breeding her would KILL her and people dont care. She has asthma and allergies. Babies could harm her. Please people , indiscriminate breeding without care and concern for the dogs involved is WRONG. It KILLS dogs and breeds dogs with multiple problems. You breed to improve the breed standard and to add new blood to the line, doing it without care is dangerous. Love your dog fix your dog.
    Mom2PunkRockers

Answer by Mom2PunkRockers at 2:10 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• LOL are you a VET you said you knew everything about dogs in your last question

tlc-mom

Answer by tlc-mom at 1:49 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• LOL, much better =) Good for you.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:50 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• She is just venting thats all..

Answer by louise2 at 1:50 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Nope, not a vet but work with several. I've been working in animal welfare and rescue for quite a long time and I CARE about animals, which is why I try to keep people who are adamantly against educating themselves from making big mistakes.

aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 1:50 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• And this is why the AKC sucks. Anyone can have their dog papered (just give them the money they want). If you're looking for a quality dog, with specific breed traits, best to get him with papers from his breed specific organization (unless none of that matters to you at all........mixed breed can sometimes make the greatest pets).
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:52 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Yep I'm ignorant and refuse to educate myself by other ignorant people.
    lonelymom911

Answer by lonelymom911 at 1:52 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• eirlass that is very true sometimes mixed dogs do make the greatest pets.
    lonelymom911

Answer by lonelymom911 at 1:53 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• You want to get a dog so it can have puppies for you to give to family? How odd. Why not just give them a puppy you find at the shelter? Why make more? Me-thinks the "or sell for cheap" comment has something to do with this. Call me crazy.
    Anonymous

• breeder- noun a person who raises animals or plants primarily for breeding purposes

i wouldn't be raising the dog for BREEDING purposes IT WOULD BE A FAMILY DOG
    lonelymom911

Answer by lonelymom911 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 26, 2009