going to jordan in august, is it safe for me to go?

i'm possibly going w/my husband to visit his family & my parents are going nuts because they think i'm crazy & it unsafe for me to go. i think the media hypes up the "danger" but would like to know if anyone has been recently or lives there & what is your experience? also i'm taking my little girl, she will be 6 when/if we go.

beachmom0703

Asked by beachmom0703 at 2:08 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Travel

• IMO. I would NEVER travel to the mid-east! Ever watch watch that movie with Sally Field, Not Without My Daughter? LOL, seriously.

Anonymous

• I think it is a VERY damgerous climate to visit the middle east as an american woman. I personally would not go.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:25 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• ok has anyone actually gone? and if u wouldn't go is it bcuz wut u've heard on the news or have u heard of any personal exp. from ppl?
    beachmom0703

Answer by beachmom0703 at 2:31 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• My husbands company had 4 guys traveling on business about 4 months ago. One is a Lebanese american, two caucasians and one of Indian descent..all men. When in Israel they had no problems. When they were in Egypt however it was a far different story. The two white men were detained for no reason other than they has US passports for over 13 hours. Men with guns screaming in their faces, trying to get them to confess they were spying and all kinds of crap. Even when they were finally flying out The Indian man was accused of harboring CIA operatives as they left Jakarta. These are Men being treated that way. In much of the region women are 2nd..and even 3rd class citizens. It is not something I would risk, and certainly not with my child. Americans are despised throughout the entire region...why take that risk.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:32 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Well, you can go, it is a tad dangerous but check the advisory on the government website. I went to East. Africa when it wasn't advisable. It's not like Gaza, and Jordan is safer than other Mid East countries. I liken it to Turkey, sort of. I think you'll be fine. Be smart, don't be out at night, if you have to wear a scarf and a skirt to your knees for custom purposes, do it. Will you be in a big city or small? Flight paths direct or using regional air? Go as direct as you can. Information is power, get all the appropriate info to make it a success. Having family there will help. I've been to Turkey and my parents went to Jordan, Israel and Syria without a problem. Jordan is home to Petra, a very big tour site for ruins. Is the family on the Iraq border? Some things to ponder.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:48 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I think your fine I was just in the worst part of africa with a cival war going on! Make sure you have theproper arrangments for pick up and places to stay.....my biggest piece of advice watch yourself in airports! And I would see if maybe someone can watch your daughter while your gone not a good place for kids, shes to young
    Anonymous