Honestly

Do you ever do those things that "they" dont recommend? For example: putting baby to sleep on their side or tummy or putting cereal in the milk.

NOT trying to start any drama, so if you have drama to start please dont even bother answering. Just wondering if everyone does things "by the books".

(And for the record, if your wondering, I try my best to follow the books but sometimes my baby just wants to sleep on his side. Or sometimes its easier to put the cereal in his milk. I'll own up to that.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• I personally do not give a damn what the books say or anyone else. I consult with my dd's doctor on things when I feel it is needed, but other than that I do what I feel is right for her.

lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 2:19 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I actually don't know one person that hasn't/isn't putting cereal in their child's bottle. LOL

vnw1405

Answer by vnw1405 at 2:19 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I don't think I did anything 'by the book' I did 2things because doctors told me to and that was keep him rear facing until he was 1 and 22 lbs (Of course he didn't hit 22lbs til almost 15months) and I spoon fed cereal at 3 months bc his surgeon and doctor told me to after his heart surgery. Other then that he slept on his tummy, ate table food by 6 months (mashed potatoes, mushed up veggies and such) etc etc... I did things when I felt he was ready for them. He hasnt had any problems except his heart surgery which was a birth defect (and I DID go by the book with EVERYTHING in my pregnancy btw)
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 2:19 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I follow my gut and ty do to what I feel is right for my child. My baby loved to sleep on her side.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 2:22 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I never put cereal in my baby's milk, but at about 5 months my son started letting him sleep on his side or his back. He prefers it and I'm not going to run into his room all night to turn him over, none of us would ever get any sleep! I've also started letting him sleep with a blanket and I put a stuffed animal in his crib! So I guess I do a few things against what "they" say and a few things that go along with it.

To be fair it's hard for me to put rice cereal in my baby's bottle when he is breast feeding and REFUSES to drink from a bottle no matter what I put in it!! It's been challenging.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 2:27 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Moms have been raising babies their own special ways for centuries now; who's to say what is "right" and what is "wrong". We all make decisions based on what we feel is best for our child; now, that's not to say that we should just ignore all the warnings and risks out there just so that we can be free/independent mothers. Those stories and suggestions are there for a reason; someone has lost a child because of a mistake they might've made as a parent. But there are risks every second of every day when dealing with a child - from freak accidents to preventable mishaps. The best thing I can do as a mother is listen to what my DD is telling me & do the best I possibly can as her mother; I just simply refuse to do what's right for her because it's not in the baby-book!

P.S. My daughter has been sleeping on her STOMACH (gasp) since she was 3 weeks old with a paci clipped on her shirt & blankets in her crib!!!!!
    mommaruth07

Answer by mommaruth07 at 2:28 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I talk to our doctors and make my own decisions

My sons all slept on their tummies. (3 hours of sleep instead of 10 minutes? I'll take it)
    I NEVER put cereal in a bottle, but did start giving it at 4 months instead of 6 months with a spoon. (taking over 45oz per day of formula!)
    They had blankets and their bedtime buddy. (it was cold in the apartment no matter how high we turned the heat)
    And there are other things...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:34 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Yup. She sleeps on her tummy. I microwaved her bottle. She has peanut butter. She did have cereal in her bottle, but she was soon after eating solids so it didn't last long. She has always had a blanket in her bed. That's all I can think of. OH. She was front facing early.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 2:55 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• isnt it funny how people make us feel like we have to follow parenting rules? they should hand out packets entitled "somewhat useful info thats recommended". i think it is important for each family to find out what works for them.
    BubbysMom208

Answer by BubbysMom208 at 2:57 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I guess i'm a naughty mom, cause my son slept on his belly since day one and i put cereal in his forumal when he was old enough and u know what? he would sleep through the night and he was always and happy healthy baby
    CubanFIre

Answer by CubanFIre at 5:31 PM on Mar. 26, 2009