What a good age to start talking to your son about sex?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• All 18 years long (longer if possible).
    You start when he is a toddler and notices the differences.
    You keep it up when he wonders where babies come from.
    You continue when he is old enough to notice girls and needs to learn about respect and responsibility.

Having a one time talk about this is like having one short driver's ed class and turning your kid loose. Get talking, keep talking. The more you talk, the more open and honest you are, the more willing and approachable, the more likely he will be to listen and to come to you for advice. Have a one time talk and he'll turn to his friends for answers instead.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:38 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I think its best to let the child bring this up. My sons are only 3 and 1 1/2, so I have no experience! I have learned from people around me if you are too open, then it is just as bad as being too closed. Once your son starts asking questions, then you want to answer them age appropriately. You don't want them knowing everything too early, but you also don't want them to find it out from someone else! Good Luck! :)
    trendy4you

Answer by trendy4you at 2:35 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• depends on what he is asking/when to some degree. Depends on his 'personality' to some degree.
    and depends on 'how much'. The foundations can be discussed pretty early and then built upon so when he's ready for the 'whole thing' it's not a big huge task, just 'teaching the next level'.

because we homeschool and our boys have some mild autisn spectrum issues, we didn't think it was needed until they were 12-13.
    But if they were in the public schools They'd have needed the talk a lot sooner. Our middle sonn we waited till he was 14 becuase his autism issues are not as mild as his bothers and his pediatric psychologist suggested we wait till about then.

But they all had some basic knowledge in that area earlier on.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 2:37 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• potty training time, this is a lfetime conversation
    Anonymous

• I would say starting at about nine. Then again at nine and a half. Then again at ten. Then keep doing it until YOU think he is def mature enough to take care of a child. That he KNOWS AND UNDERSTANDS that when he has sex, he could have a baby, and won't just leave the girl/woman because he doesn't FEEL like taking responsibility. Make it serious. Never a joking thing. Good luck =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 5:37 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I agree completely with kaycee14's answer.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 5:45 PM on Mar. 26, 2009