my five month daughter is tossing and turning in her sleep,my boyfriend said we should take the bumpers out of her crib. i think its not time ..advise?

the other nite i caught her sideways and her feet would have gone thru the railing in crib if there was no bumper..

loricoco

Asked by loricoco at 2:44 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My four month does the same thing andim worried about him gettin his face up against the bumper and suffocating, but idk if I should take the bumpers off, cuz im worried about him getting hurt.
    Anonymous

• I never took the bumpers out. I figured, once they're old enough to get themselves into a position where they're right up against the bumpers, they're old enough to get themselves out of it.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:55 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Exactly its to early to take the bumpers off b/c they can get caught in the railings.

Anonymous

• Pros: baby's feet or arms may get caught in the rails.
    cons: possible suffication

options: take it out. replace it with a mesh one.

can't think of anything else. but there's some ideas.
    Anonymous

• I never took them out. Well, I did with my first for a few nights. I couldn't stand to look at the bruises on his arms and legs from getting caught in the slats any longer....and having to wake up and go get him unstuck in the middle of the night! That ear piercing scream was SCARY.

He used to sleep cuddled up to it. Honestly, I don't know how he could have suffocated in the bumper....too awkward to get his face shoved in there far enough.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:14 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• You can leave the bumpers in until she can pull herself up to standing. At that point they become a climbing hazard since she may start using them as a step to help with climbing out.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:20 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I took it out at about 6 months. My son does fine with out it. he sticks his feet thru but he never gets stuck. I felt much safer with it off. Theres also an option of the mesh one but we cant afford that. Take it off try if you don't like it put it back on.
    DessaG20

Answer by DessaG20 at 3:20 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• The general rule is 6 months, or when they start pulling up in the crib. It could be different for every baby though. I wouldn't do it just because she's turning over, wait until she tries to climb.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 3:42 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I heard that experts don't want people to use them at all. Apparently bumpers decrease the air flow in and out of the crib allow carbon dioxide to build up and therefore increasing the chance of SIDS.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 3:54 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I never used any bumpers with my daughter because how experts say that they shouldn't be used because they might lead to suffocation. I didn't buy any because I don't like how they look. But the whole reason why they shouldn't be used doesn't make much sense because they're sold everywhere. Anyway either just leave them in there or buy the mesh ones. :]
    beautifulinlove

Answer by beautifulinlove at 4:27 PM on Mar. 26, 2009