Does anyone else feel like the doctors will think you're a druggie if you ask for pain pills?

I always think if I ask them they will think I'm just wanting them for a high, and the only time I ask is if I need them. DH has got an infected tooth so bad it's causing him fevers, nausea and vomiting. He even puked all over the dentist office, then puked about 8 more times that day. They prescribed him pain pills for only 3 days, and he's in really bad pain. They won't even pull his tooth until Wed. and the pills won't last that long at all. Is it okay to ask for the to write out another rx to last him until Wednesday? Will they do it? I really don't like asking, but I feel sorry for him. He can't sleep at all.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I know, they make people in legitimate pain act like druggies begging for a fix. You have to call and tell them. I did this after my surgery and they refilled me. Usually they'll give you one refill. You know it's legit so don't worry about it.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 2:52 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Call them and ask for an amount to last ONLY until his appointment. No addiction in doing that.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:50 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• ha! yeah!! sucks!! those damn addicts ruin it for the ones of us who freakin need em!!
    Anonymous

• No I'm more worried about them thinking I'm a wuss lol.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:52 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Yea I know, that's why I feel so awkward asking for things like that. I'm afraid they won't take me seriously since so many people try to get them to abuse them.
    Anonymous

• I feel the same way. You just feel like they're going to write "drug addict" in your file and walk away. Then again, I'm the type of person that puts off going to the Dr, Dentist, or any other medical practitioner until I'm half dead. LOL Of course, the exception to that is when I'm pregnant. then I go in twice as much.
    mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 2:56 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Call them & let them know - maybe they filled it out wrong? Usually our dr/ dentist give us WAY to many (like 30 days worth for something you only need for a few days) maybe he meant to put 30 not 3? Either way call them & let them know... im sure they willw ork something out. Just let them know he just needs enough to last until his appointment
    Anonymous

• I had an extremely painful surgery which the pain lasted for several months after the surgery. The doctor only gave me some pain pills (which barely even cut it) to last a few days and refused to give me any more after that. I delt with excrutiating pain and even went back to work later than I intended because it was difficult to cope. It's rediculous.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:59 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Poor husband. Yes, call the dentist and tell them what's going on! He NEEDS narcotics. Now. Don't worry about what they think of you. I'm in the same boat, having teeth pulled next Wed and last week I had to BEG for lortabs because the dentist only wanted to give me anti-inflammatory pills. Those just don't work. So I got enough pain pills for 2 days. Now I'm in so much pain again, but it's too late to try to start over with another dentist.
    Call your husband's dentist!!!
    Anonymous

• I've had 5 back surgeries and I still feel guilty for asking for pain medication.
    Anonymous