What to do with a dramatic two year old??

My middle son is just over two years old and for the past couple of weeks he has gone off the deep end! He went from being a sweet little boy to now he is always screaming and throwing temper tantrums. He hits, kicks, pulls hair, pinches, scratches. You name it he does it (except bite thank goodness) to both his older sister and his baby brother. I have done everything I can think of to discipline him and nothing phases him. Please tell me I am not the only one and if anyone has any ideas of getting through to him I am all ears. BTW he is none vocal.

mssemmy

Asked by mssemmy at 2:55 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• His lack of verbal skills is probably what is driving this. Does he know any sign language? Another option is to make some simple pictures for him to use... a picture of an apple for "snack", a picutre of a glass of milk, a picture of a bed for "tired, want to sleep", etc.

Also, is he in speech therapy? At 2, he should have 50 or more words (some sources say 100 or more) and should be using 2 word phrases or on the brink of using them. If he's not doing those things, he may need help. The quicker he gains the ability to express what he wants, the quicker his behavior will improve.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:12 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• he just had surgery because he has about 50% hearing loss so hopefully that will help with the speech and he starts his speech therapy April 9th. That is a good idea about the pictures. I think we'll try that. I just don't want to do anything that will interfere with him using his words (when he gets them lol)
    mssemmy

Answer by mssemmy at 4:25 PM on Mar. 26, 2009