She doesn't stop yelling!!!

So I have become friends w/ someone that has a boy my sons age. We have gotten together a couple of times so the kids can play together. They get a long very well. Whenever I am on the phone w/ her she is yelling at this little boy for every little thing. When we get together it is the same way. Well the other day they came over to play and after they left my son says "I'm so glad they left!" I asked why? and he says "Because his mom yells too much!" It does get on my nerves, and I am starting to dred getting together with her, but yet we get along pretty well. What am I to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• Maybe try starting a convo about parenting styles. Try to give her some tips for discipline instead of yelling.

SyndiB

Answer by SyndiB at 3:24 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• tell her to be more patient or its just a defect because im the same way as her i cant help it i love my baby and i just get so pissed with everytiny little thing she does wrong i hate myself for it because shes a baby but i guess its my surroundings and just me. help her talk with her i wish someone here would talk to me help me i have my usband and HIS FAMILY SO I THINK THATS WHAT MAKES ME ALWAYS ON EDGE AND WANTING TO FIGHT AND GETTING MAD AT EVERYTHING .
    Anonymous

• Believe me, I yell at my child as well, not saying that it is wrong to do so. But She is doing this for really silly things and it is uncalled for. I mean I can see when he is not listening, etc.. but for really I have heard her/seen her do it for no reason at all. If we are in public, I am almost embarrassed by it. Its just sad.
    Anonymous

• If this is her parenting style, it is probably how she was raised too and she's not going to see anything wrong with it. Suggesting she change what she's doing may offend her so if you really feel the need to do so, prepare for her to be irritated or offended by you. No one likes being told how to parent.

The one thing I will do sometimes is make a comment right when it is happening. I have a friend whose toddler destroys her things and she feels defeated and doesn't do a whole lot about it. Sometimes I'll say to her son "that's mommy's, that's not nice" and encourage her to chime in...instead of demanding that she discepline her child. If you try to show them how trying something different will be easier on them instead of making it sound like you're being critical...maybe she'll be more receptive of it? Who knows, maybe when my son is a toddler it won't be as easy as I thought and I'll be in the same boat? lol.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:34 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I wont tell her what to do, or how to dicipline her child, no way. I just guess now that we are getting closer and our kids are, and I'm not looking forward to it, and now my son had said what he did I don't think he is going to want to get together w/ them either.
    Anonymous