• In the Spotlight:

Custody....

What do you think is appropriate for custody regarding 2-year old twins? Is everyother day with both parents selfish because it comprimises their schedule? What would you expereinced (and none expereince) mothers recommend??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• For my son every other day would completely overwhelm him. He likes to have a schedule and he wants everything to be the same and be in the same order every day. Not all kids are like that though, so it depends on their personalities.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 4:00 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• We're dealing with the same issues...my two year old grandsons are living with their mom for now. She wants my son to take them EVERY weekend...while he'd like to have them every other week. At least until they start school. This would involve day-care for them when all three adults in our house are working. The mom says no way she'll allow it, because they're too young for daycare. I say she's wrong, although it will be hard during winter until the schedule gets started. I'm recommending to him that he NOT agree to the EVERY weekend schedule. She's a party animal, and wants her own lifestyle come hell or high water. I feel that when he wants to start his social life back up, this arrangement is NOT fair to him. So if he's not successful on his court day, I'd like to see him stay at the every other weekend schedule they're on now. He's the chief breadwinner & she shouldn't be selfish n demand no social life for him
    Anonymous

• Every other weekend plus a night during the week and a reasonable holiday schedule.
    To Anon 5:10--Your son can object to anything and everything that's put on the table but in the end it will do nothing but show the judge that he's difficult to deal with and the judge will be far less accommodating to his requests and demands. We went round and round with this and my DHs ex wife and it did nothing but bite us in the butt. When my DH and I were separated my kids were with him or my parents every weekend because I had to work. I hated it but did what I had to for my kids.

I hate to say it but what it sounds like is that neither your son nor the mom want the kids.
    AudreyJ

Answer by AudreyJ at 9:55 PM on Mar. 26, 2009