I have a doctors appointment tomorrow and i get blood taken to see if i have the gene for down syndrome-etc,But what i owuld like to know is it really worth it most people told me they were positive.if im positive i know ill just stress myself out!

Im scared,i mean yes i agreed to the test its optional but i want to do everything i can to make sure the baby will be okay.What are your opinions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Health

• You are stressing beforeyou even know anything, think positive and do something to take your mind off of it. I remember all of those test. There's always going to be worry. Don't worry yourself sick though, the way I always found to get thru it is to tell yourself " I can do this" relax and leave the rest up to God.
    MAMAMISTY33

Answer by MAMAMISTY33 at 3:47 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• plain and simple dont take the test. i have a five month old and i didnt take the test, i didnt see the point in it. b/c if he/she is positive for down syndrome i wasnt going to abort him so might as well not know, make it a surprise. you dont need to worry. i worried myself so much that i eventually started having panic attacks so if i were you i would just leave it alone. good luck
    newmom10408

Answer by newmom10408 at 4:05 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I don't recommend it. False postivites are very common. The last thing you need during a pregnancy is to be stressed out! A friend got a bad result went to farthe rtesting then found it everything was fine but spent a month worried out of her mind!!
    Anonymous

• I was negative w/ all my pregnancies. If you do not want it do not get it. Does down syndrome even run in your family?
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 4:08 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Those tests are stupid and mostly innaccurate! I wouldn't worry about it honestly! Will it change the way you feel about your baby in any way? It wouldn't for me!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:27 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• So if YOU have the gene? I've never heard of that test.

If you're talking about the test to see what the odds are of the baby having it, it's not an accurate test at all. The triple screen I think it used to be called. It's only about 75% accurate.

I did the nuchal with each of mine, but again...only odds. It's not a positive the baby has it or a negative the baby doesn't have it. It just gives the odds that the baby MIGHT have it.

With my last one, the nuchal gave me the odds of 1:5 he had Down Syndrome. I had an amnio after that and found out he was perfectly healthy.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:58 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I had that done with my daughter and it came back that she had like a 1:3 chance of having it, freaked me and her dad out, sent us to counselors and all this stuff, she was born perfectly healthy, and I underwent a LOT of stress because they took the test at the wrong time (I had been telling them all along I more pregnant than they thought!)...when I was pregnant with my son, I told them not even to hand me the paperwork for it because either way, he was my son and I would love him reguardless...
    kyuteangl88

Answer by kyuteangl88 at 7:06 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I took the test when I was pregnant and it was negative. I decided not to have a Amniocentesis if I needed one. I think they tell you to take the test to get prepared, to make arrangements if something came out positive.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 7:29 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Don't take the test. They can be false-positive. And what if it is positive? Then what? My first kid is special needs, no test came back positive. I refused the test with the second and third. There is not point if stressing yourself out. I wouldn't take the test.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 10:23 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I don't recommend it. Would you keep the baby if it did have Downs? Also the test isn't all that accurate. My cousin had it and was told her son had Down's and he was born perfectly healthy, she stressed the entire pregnancy for nothing. I wouldn't take the test.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:00 PM on Mar. 26, 2009