I need some major advice on potty training my 4 yr old son...he has trouble going #2 on the toilet. Any suggestions? I've tried EVERYTHING it seems and nothing seems to work. We've given him is time and

Potty Training
boys

JoMama79

Asked by JoMama79 at 3:49 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I used to have the same problem! My daughter is almost 4 and it hurt her so bad that she started to "hold it" which resulted in several doctor visits. After trying EVERYTHING, even prescribed laxatives, we tried MiraLAX. It worked great, and her doctor approved it! It is normally used for adults, but we just gave her about 1/3 of the regular dosage. It is a tasteless, white powder, and you can sprinkle it in anything....juice, milk, water, etc. It worked wonders, and now she never has a problem! Also, you can buy it anywhere and it is inexpensive.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100104&navAction=jump&navCount=0&nug=VPD&skuid=sku3191820&id=prod3192987
    Sitar21

Answer by Sitar21 at 4:18 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Well, maybe I misunderstood the question but I thought you were asking how to get him to go on the potty, not how to get him to go. Well... My son was going poop on the toilet before peeing. But basically how it started was when i noticed he had to poop or was trying to poop i would take him straight to the toilet and sit him down. He would just look at me for a minute then i would ask him if he had to poop and when he said yes, i would tell him okay well poop in the potty. Its how big boys do it!!! If he pooped in his diaper/pull up before i could get him there i would dump the poop in the toilet then make him sit down and when he got off i would say YAY!!! you pooped in the potty!!! you're such a big boy!!! lets go get new big boy underwear or a new big boy cup. We also bought him a toilet seat that sat on top of the reg. one and just because it was spider man he liked to sit on it... good luck add more if you can =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 4:24 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• yes, we dealt with this for an entire year with one of our children. It is frustrating to say the least, but I learned a lot from it and hopefully can spare you some of the pain I experienced. First, pottying is scary for children they are leaving the security of their diaper and that is a big transition. don't get serious,yell or degrade them about accidents whatever you do. Offer rewards ones that they will really want to earn by going where they should. Pick a time of day for pooping and have them sit at that same time every day. It will create a habit and eventually its when they will go. Take it in stride. If they have to poop in their pull-up okay, just make them do their "doo" in the bathroom. Yes, this means another level of childproffing, but it gets the point across that the bathroom is where you go. Next transition to sit on the toilet with the pull-up on and last take it off and go on it in the toilet.
    Anonymous