Why America? What is it that you don't get? (I am being absolutely serious, not trying to bash)

First, I am neither a Republican nor a Democrat; I despise both Bush and Obama. Secondly,what don't you understand about the Constitution and the role of government? Whenever I see a post talking about the government regulating some other aspect of our lives, I want to scream. The Constitutional role of government is so limited, and yet We the People (who are supposed to be governing ourselves), are willing relinquish our responsibilities to a government who has only proven to screw things up time and time again. So what's the deal? Have you not read the Constitution? Do you really not care what kind of laws Congress is passing? Do you really think the government has yours and your family's best interest in mind. Please share with me, because there are so many who causing me to think that the American Spirit is dead! And if our Spirit is dead, then liberty is most assuredly dead as well.

Eilish

Asked by Eilish at 3:57 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It's us isn't it? If we understood the constitution, we wouldn't have this problem.
    I recently took a refresher course.... I recommend that all of us do the same. Sit down with your spouse, with your children... and watch it one hour at a time. Keep asking yourself, Why don't they teach this in schools?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5085838350268647159&ei=cfHLSbGVOYKGqQPIkOGYDQ&q=mike+badnarik%27s&hl=en&client=firefox-a
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:20 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I feel your pain. Some days I just want to pack up and move to Ireland.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 4:00 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I hate government regulation. Most people are willing to give it up b/c they believe the gov. can do it better. As if they have not proved time and time again that they have no idea whats going on.
    I believe Obama is creating more DEPENDENT Americans. Dependent on the gov. to help them in times of need. Instead of the original idea of America, "to get up and help yourself!"
    Anonymous

• I never believed the government had our best interest at heart. We the people do. We have to push the government to go in the direction we want. When they start saying they're helping us when most of us disagree, that is a BIG PROBLEM. No one should ever trust a government fully because they've done nothing to prove they're trustworthy.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 4:01 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Thank you for your answers ladies ... it's encouraging to here some still know the role of government.

I am quite interested to hear what the supporters of big government say.

Eilish

Answer by Eilish at 4:03 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• its like someone in a room full of people trying to hear what everyone is saying..... its impossible! so not everyone can be heard, so why try... just pick the best one from what you hear and go from there!
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 4:03 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Actually the General Idea of America was to stand united and help each other... Not screw everybody else, each man for himself.... would you still feel that way if we were invaded and our soliders had that idea!

I hate government regulation. Most people are willing to give it up b/c they believe the gov. can do it better. As if they have not proved time and time again that they have no idea whats going on.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 4:06 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I agree. We need another party that belives in limited government and everybody working to keep jobs and be an industrious nation again. I think that ship has sailed though.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 4:07 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I've recently come to the conclusion that really, Americans just don't get it, and don't want to, and never will.
    And I always thought I was an optimist.
    whohannah

Answer by whohannah at 4:08 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• soonmommyof3

Thank you for your reply, I hope you don't mind my picking your brain a little bit more. I hear what you are saying about not being heard. I have contacted my Congressman on several occasions and they almost always don't listen to what I have to say. But at the same time, I wonder if the reason why they don't listen is because not enough people are speaking up? In our society it is impolite to talk about politics (for reasons unknown to me), but if we bothered to talk amongst ourselves, wouldn't more of us care? Wouldn't more of us be making a stand and showing our Congressman that they'd better pay attention to us, or will vote them out - or worse - push to have them impeached? Because as I see it, if we don't care because it is so hard to be heard, then we will never know when our government is trampling our rights.
    Eilish

Answer by Eilish at 4:09 PM on Mar. 26, 2009