My son is almost 3months old and weighes 13lbs 10oz when can i start feeding him 1st baby foods?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• talk to his pedi but its usually 6 months... my baby is only a month and weighs 3 lbs less then your son.... i wouldnt think about giving him first foods for a LONG time
    Anonymous

• 4 to 6 months. Though it is better to wait until 6 months of age as the digestive system is more advanced.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 4:04 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• From what I was told you could start feeding cereal at 4 months and 1st baby foods at 6 months. Im just now starting my son on cereal and hes four months today.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 4:05 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Talk to his doctor. Most docs will say 6 months but a look at your child's growth history, some medical problems, and a look at his development may make it reasonable to start earlier. Your doctor will know how to weigh all of those factors and give you good advice. You'll only get strong opinons based on someone else's child here.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:06 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• It's not about age or weight so much as your baby's ability to eat and digest the food. If baby is showing signs like able to hold head up unsupported and moves tongue in mouth as to swallow, it might be time. ALso, keep in mind the food isn't necessary. It's more to help start teaching baby *how* to eat and just have some fun bonding time. At around 4 months I tried with my dd but she couldn't swallow and the food just came back out so we waited a few weeks and tried again. No need to rush it. Just have fun and make sure baby has fun.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 4:08 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• No sooner then 6 mos IMO.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:20 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I would wait until 6 months unless your ped feels for some reason that he needs it before then. Don't rush it!
    leahjoy

Answer by leahjoy at 4:33 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Don't bother with stage 1. Just buy single ingredient stage 2 jars. It's more cost effective!! Just spoon half of the jar into a bowl and put the rest into the fridge for the next day. Check the prices yourself! Other than the size of the jar, it's the same stuff! Stage 2 does have combinations but just wait for those until you've ran through all the single ingredients.

It is generally thought to be better to wait until thy are at least 4 months to start solids, though...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:35 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Generally 6 months. Some babies might be ready at 5 months and some might not be ready until 7, 8 or even 9 months. Watch for all signs of readiness before beginning solids.
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/solids-when.html
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 4:55 PM on Mar. 26, 2009