I need help potty training my daughter

She is 4 years old and uses the potty at home all day as long as she has no type of pants on. She will not wear panties of any type. She keeps the bed dry all night. When we are in a public place, she is terrified of the noise the toilets make. I have potty trained my 3 other children with ease. I am at my wits end!

acm2001

Asked by acm2001 at 4:07 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• The March issue of parenting has a great series of examples to help with potty-training. One of them discusses the problem you are having. They suggested carrying some post-its and placing one on the automatic flush so your child isn't scared. It sounds like a security thing which is very normal and age appropriate.....first, don't get frustrated, just try to think ahead to avert a meltdown. Have her go potty before leaving the house. Don't give liquids while out of the house unless you have to. Carry the post-its, and offer gentle encouragement and understanding when the inevitable happens...
    oregonmom22

Answer by oregonmom22 at 7:49 PM on Mar. 26, 2009