How to break the bottle before bed habit?

My son just turned two and will not give up his milk in the bottle before bed. I have tried putting the milk in a sippee cup and then he won't drink it. Then he will either wake up in the middle of the night or super early in the morning crying for his milk! And being a single mom and full time student my sleep is very important so i give in! I know this habit is extremely bad for his teeth and I want to break it! Any suggestions or similar experiences???

ericsprincess81

Asked by ericsprincess81 at 4:20 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My only suggestion is to talk to him while he is awake fully and have HIM throw it in the garbage. ALL of them. Or put them in a separate bag, and take them to a goodwill/second hand store and tell him the bottles are going to go to new babies that need them, because they don't have any. BUT LET HIM DO IT!!! Then let him pick out a sippy from wal-mart or where ever that he can use JUST for night time. My son had the same problem except with a binky and thats how it worked for me. I just let him pick out a sippy to take to bed with him, and then after about a month, we switched to a stuffed animal he picked out, because I didn't want him getting too attached to that either. Now he's almost three and sleeps with only a blanket and pillow. Good luck. Hope this helps =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 4:29 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Just take it away and deal with the crying. He is two and his non-nutritive sucking need should have passed. But, if you can't stand it, then just keep giving it to him and wait for him to wean himself. I don't know any other solution.
    Anonymous

• I like what the first mamma wrote I agree with her I'm in the same boat as you mine r 17 mo still drinks milk,,, I'm getting guilty about it but yet aren't willing to go insane for a few nights
    good luck let me know what worked
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 5:52 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I JUST broke my 16-1/2 month old of his bottle. It broke my heart cause he would cry at night and basically all day for his BABA... I know it brought him comfort and when he started wanting to cuddle with it once he was done drinking it, I knew I let it go too long - but so far, we are going on 1 full week and he gets better each day. Although now he won't drink milk at all from a cup or sippy cup - but before bed and naps are easier - in fact, the last 3 nights he went to bed without asking for it - he just let me rock and talk to him... but he cried at first - and we do the CIO Method and he really only went for 30 minutes the first night and less every night after.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:57 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• with my DD I started only giving her water in her Bottle, it became less and less apitzing, but she still wanted her baba even with water, So then I switched to a sippy cup, with water and slowly she didnt want either and now drinks juice and water out of a big girl cup, and has since she was 2. Goodluck.
    yannaboozmommi

Answer by yannaboozmommi at 8:41 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• When I was breaking my son of his bottle I started by letting him have his morning bottle all the time while he was at the babysitters he never even wanted it until he seen is at the house when we got home so I would make sure all bottles were out of sight and he got a snack and a cup of milk in the high chair before bed that seemed to appease him thru the night I will say having a baby who did not sleep thru the night until he was 11 mths old I hear ya on the no sleep thing but if you rough it for a few nights you will get thru try starting on friday so you know your not getting up in the morning for class :)
    aidensmom570

Answer by aidensmom570 at 8:48 PM on Mar. 26, 2009