When should a child be tested for learning differences?

My DD is 5. She seems to be a little slow socially. Academically, she excels over the other kids in her pre-k class (according to her teacher), but there seem to be some things that are just . . . off about her. I was thinking about having her tested, but am wondering if I should give it another year.

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 4:33 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would say test her. It wouldn't hurt and possibly could help with early intervention.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:35 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• The earlier the better if there is a problem.

We started with my oldest at 3, the second at 2 and the youngest at 18 months.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:38 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I agree with the others
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:25 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• It definitely wouldnt hurt to have her tested. The pediatrician should be able to do it.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 9:25 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Does your area have Early Childhood Intervention, usually through the school system? It can't hurt to have her tested and they will test for everything, social and academically.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 2:26 PM on Mar. 30, 2009