what do you think about rotwillers for a pet? (we have a one year old and it would be an outside dog)

lonelymom911

Asked by lonelymom911 at 5:14 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Pets

• thats one type of dog i wouldnt own with a little one. I guess its kind of a stereo type but i just wouldnt feel safe. but now with that said any dog regardless of breed could bite a child.
    Anonymous

• any dog can be a great pet. reguardless of breed. we had a pit and he was gentle around kids especially small ones. he knew he could hurt them so he just mainly let them climb on him lol. it was cute. and my friend has a rotwiller and she is the same way. just most people stero type dogs when they shouldn't
    bare121807

Answer by bare121807 at 5:22 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I have had several friends who had rotties and they were really great dogs all around including with children. I completely agree with bare121807. And if you raise them to be a great dog then chance are they will be.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 5:30 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• My baby is 11. He is the best dog I've every had. He is the most gentle thing when it comes to little children. They are very protective. But leaving it outside is cruel. He will not be the loving bear that your child will use as a pillow. He won't develope that attachment that he should have. So if you are planning on leaving the poor animal outside a rotty is not a good choice.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 5:40 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• we had a rautwiler or however u spell it and it was an outside dog very very good dog then one day i was i think like 3 and it turned around and snapped at my face and pierced my eye lid with its teeth...
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:41 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• lol..anons answer cracks me up!! they're one of the best breeds For children!!lol.. i love how she added in about stereotypes..dumb anon.. i cant wait to own one..actually i cant wait to own a german rott..oh and i think siberian husky's are beautiful too!! and i think its great that they would be out door dogs since you live on a family farm. i only have my dog indoor 24/7 becuase we're indoors and when we start going out doors in the summer, she'll go out doors too. basically, she goes where we go.. she's a pit/american bull dog mix.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 7:58 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• we had several when I was growning up. Though they never were outside dogs. Great animals.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:09 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• No Rottweiler should ever be an outside dog. They are a strong willed working dog that needs constant socialization with people inside and outside the family. They also need a job. As for the poster that said they should not be around children, get a grip. This kind of stereotype is what creates breed specific regulations.The Rottweiler is first and foremost a sound, stable family member when socialized properly..as with any dog. If you want more specifics on the breed please im me privately and I will be glad to help you in gaining correct information to make your decision.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 2:04 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I have a rot. He is the biggest baby. He thinks he is the kids...lol.. I trust him with my kids, with strangers, and everyone. He only barks once in a great while (more at night when he can't really see outside, and it's usually an animal not a person). He is soooo smart. When I was little, we had a German Shepard. The German Shepard was way meaner then my Rot. I think it's how you raise them. Treat them like a baby, and they will act like a baby....lol. I have a 5 year old rot, with 3 legs, and we now have a 3 month old Rot. Not by the same lit. The 3 month old acts just like the 5 year old (just like a kid).
    gerigirl90

Answer by gerigirl90 at 7:53 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I agree with you equusvetgal
    gerigirl90

Answer by gerigirl90 at 7:54 PM on Mar. 27, 2009